Mug Chemical/Plastic taste, how to remove it?

cmdesign79

Feb 2, 2018
Visit site
Hope this is posted in the right area...

I juat bought a Stanley one hand vacuum seal travel mug. Most expensive mug I've ever bought. I wanted it because first its spill proof, the lid completely disassembles for cleaning, and it matches my old USA made Aladdin Stanley thermos(which has been incredible).

I thoroughly washed it before drinking out of it, and was surprised to find my coffee had a very chemical/plastic taste to it. I dumped the coffee and insanely thoroughly washed it like no other. Still no luck. At this point I have tried wiping all components down with rubbing alcohol, soaking in vinegar, and filling with near boiling water and letting it soak hoping to bake the taste out. I used apple cider vinegar.. all I had at the time. Maybe distilled white would be better?

Still no luck. At this point Im pretty sure the lid is the culprit.and I dont think its actually altering the taste of the coffee.. I think when the lid gets heat on it, it lets off that scent and when I suck coffee out Im also filling my mouth with that scent creating the sense of a chemical taste.

How can I remedy this? Is there a way I could maybe bake the lid to get the smell out? It seems to me if it were heated long enough it would eventually lose the scent but idk. Maybe a chemical? Lemon juice, Peroxide, bleach?

Thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320AZ using Tapatalk

Last edited:

CucamongaDan

Jan 22, 2018
Cucamonga
Visit site
I'd stick with hot water, baking soda, and Dawn dishwashing liquid. If it still smells weird after those, maybe it wasn't meant to be drank out of. Sorry to hear about that- I haves Stanley Thermoses too that have been great.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Since you've already done a lot of cleaning to try to remove the plastic taste, try filling the mug all the way up to the top with very strong coffee and closing the lid. Turn the mug upside down so the lid is guaranteed to be saturated with the coffee. Let it sit for a day or so, and then rinse it out. The plastic in the mug and lid will absorb the coffee aromas and flavors, and you may find that drinking coffee from the mug will be more agreeable to you.

Rose

cmdesign79

Feb 2, 2018
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions. I actually am having good luck now. I filled it with boiling water yesterday a couple of times and turnes it upside down for a few hours each time. The taste/aroma seemed to be getting weaker. Last night I filled it with boiling water again and added about a tablespoon of baking soda. Put tge same mix in a bowl of hot water. Turned the mug upside down in the bowl and keft it over night. Today I dont seem to bw getting any tastes other than the coffee. Its still a little early and I still have a bit of toothpaste on my breath that could be disguising it. But Im pretty positive my problem is solved as it was a pretty pungent aroma that would be very hard to miss. I dont know if it was the heat that did it or the baking soda or both. But either way very glad now. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll update this a littke later tonight to let you know if I notice any more of the plastic taste in it.

mohsenpasdar

Oct 30, 2020
Visit site
updat request

Dear cmdesign79,
would you mind update your experience with the mug?
I've bought a new Stanley flask and I have the same problem as you. please tell me how I can remedy this disappointing problem. Thanks a lot.
Thanks for the suggestions. I actually am having good luck now. I filled it with boiling water yesterday a couple of times and turnes it upside down for a few hours each time. The taste/aroma seemed to be getting weaker. Last night I filled it with boiling water again and added about a tablespoon of baking soda. Put tge same mix in a bowl of hot water. Turned the mug upside down in the bowl and keft it over night. Today I dont seem to bw getting any tastes other than the coffee. Its still a little early and I still have a bit of toothpaste on my breath that could be disguising it. But Im pretty positive my problem is solved as it was a pretty pungent aroma that would be very hard to miss. I dont know if it was the heat that did it or the baking soda or both. But either way very glad now. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll update this a littke later tonight to let you know if I notice any more of the plastic taste in it.