Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I know this is an old thread, but I was happy to learn at least others had experienced this same problem and I'm not going crazy. My Bialetti Moka Express previously worked fine. Changed gasket only, and now only get spurts and splatters of coffee out the upper column while loud boiling sounds coming from below; upper chamber only fills about 1/3 full no matter how long it is left on heat. No steam or water leakage visible from upper half to lower half screw joint or the safety valve. New gasket same size and thickness of old gasket. Using exact same heat as before. Put old gasket back in and it works fine again. Defies logical engineering explanation.

Hi. I'm a new member and just wanted to add my discovery on this topic, as it's one that seems to plague many people. Been using various stovetop mokas, bialetti and others, for years, and 'sputtering' after gasket replacement is a regular problem. Like one or two others posting online, I noticed that accidentally boiling the pot dry seemed to partially melt the gasket, seating it firmly against the upper chamber, and thus solve the problem, however this is NOT a recommended solution! In fact the answer is much simpler as I discovered. The sputtering is related in some way to the new gasket not being sufficiently compressed against the upper chamber. Simply screw the top of the moka onto the base as tightly as possible - far tighter than you might normally (taking care to not use the bakelite handle for leverage lest it snap off). This has, at least for our six cup model, consistently solved the problem.

My experience exactly. As a Mechanical Engineer I am completely baffled by this, since the steam pressure inside the lower chamber is always extremely low (only slightly above ambient pressure outside the Moka pot), and there is no detectable leakage at the seal between the upper and lower chambers. Given this, it makes no sense that the behavior of the device should change so radically with a simple change to a new gasket. I solved the problem as you did by screwing the top on with extreme force. However, this made for an unhappy wife who could not then disassemble the pot. So I made a "Moka" wrench as shown in the photo. But then I re-purchased some new gaskets from Bialetti, and discovered they are fabricated from a different kind of rubber than the old ones---a softer, more compressible neoprene type, I believe. With these, our Moka works as it did before, with minimal force to tighten. The mis-behavior with the other gaskets is still a complete mystery to me.
    Problems with new gasket in my Bialetti 3-cup Moka Pot-0405210738_hdr.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by FidoWilliams View Post
    My experience exactly. As a Mechanical Engineer I am completely baffled by this, since the steam pressure inside the lower chamber is always extremely low (only slightly above ambient pressure outside the Moka pot), and there is no detectable leakage at the seal between the upper and lower chambers. Given this, it makes no sense that the behavior of the device should change so radically with a simple change to a new gasket. I solved the problem as you did by screwing the top on with extreme force. However, this made for an unhappy wife who could not then disassemble the pot. So I made a "Moka" wrench as shown in the photo. But then I re-purchased some new gaskets from Bialetti, and discovered they are fabricated from a different kind of rubber than the old ones---a softer, more compressible neoprene type, I believe. With these, our Moka works as it did before, with minimal force to tighten. The mis-behavior with the other gaskets is still a complete mystery to me.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0405210738_HDR.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	394.9 KB 
ID:	10922
    Same issue here with my partner not being able to sufficiently tighten / unscrew the upper lid. She's very impressed by your elegant solution! Our latest gasket was the last of a multi pack of Bialetti replacements that may have been 3 - 5 years old - although the problem occurred with the then-new gaskets at the time of purchase and thus unlikely to be related to the rubber drying out. I will pick up some new ones and give it a go - although I'm loathe to futz with the pot now that it's back working. I'm hoping that after a couple of weeks of hyper-tightening the top that it will 'bed in' and no longer require such sheer brute force in order to produce a consistent even, slow brew.

I'm not a mechanical engineer, but I too could not understand why the new gasket produced the observed behavior. Leakage at the seal, sure, but the sputtering just didn't make sense as it seemed more like the result of a (non-existant) blockage than anything a mere gasket could cause.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links