Problems with new gasket in my Bialetti 3-cup Moka Pot

I've been using my 3-cup Bialetti Moka Express for quite some time, 2-4 times a day, with great results every time. Now the original gasket is showing some wear, so I thought I should replace it. I bought a three-pack of gaskets, allegedly from Bialetti via Amazon, and I've since tried to make 3 pots without success. I get a sputtering mess that gives me a third of non-drinkable sludge. I'm using exactly the same grind and heat I've always used. What is going on?

I did notice that the new gasket seems awfully stiff compared to my existing one, but I figured that was simply due to it being new. It did seem a bit smaller in outer diameter -- not by much -- and it could be my imagination, but it seems to fit a bit looser in the machine than I think it should.

Frustrated, I went back to my old gasket, and turned out a perfect 3-cup pot! So what's going on? Do I need to crank that new gasket down even harder? Change my heat settings? I don't understand the physics of what's happening by simply changing a gasket. It should improve things, no?

Thinking about it more, I suspect I'm not getting a decent seal with the new gasket. With the old gasket, the brew time is consistent from one pot to the next, right around 5 minutes. With the new gasket, it took much longer, and I suspect because there was a poor seal, the water was going to a boil rather than being forced up via pressure, causing the burnt odor, the sputtering. Does that sound logical?

At this point I don't know if I should continue to try to make these new gaskets work -- will they really eventually seal -- or give up on them. The packaging says Bialetti, but I'm beginning to wonder.

Doesn't sound right. Contact the seller and tell them the new gaskets are not the same as the old one, and don't work, before leaving feedback or a review. Hopefully a correct gasket or refund will be forthcoming.

Yes, contact the seller and return the gasket. I would buy direct from Bialetti, is it that much more expensive?

Well, I don't know how much different it would be directly from Bialetti. This packaging says Bialetti, Made in Italy -- everything looks legit. I know there are knockoffs of all manner of things out there, but this doesn't have the appearance of a counterfeit. I'll look into it a bit more, but I believe these are the real deal. I went to the Bialetti website, and although they are out of the 3-cup replacement gaskets, they do give outside diameter dimensions for the gaskets, and my replacement gaskets are the right size, according to their own chart. Pretty frustrating. I'm contacting Bialetti USA -- see if they have something to say about it. I noticed on other forums around the web that other people are having the same issues.
    Last edited by bluesmike; 02-08-2018 at 08:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesmike View Post
    Well, I don't know how much different it would be directly from Bialetti. This packaging says Bialetti, Made in Italy -- everything looks legit. I know there are knockoffs of all manner of things out there, but this doesn't have the appearance of a counterfeit. I'll look into it a bit more, but I believe these are the real deal. I went to the Bialetti website, and although they are out of the 3-cup replacement gaskets, they do give outside diameter dimensions for the gaskets, and my replacement gaskets are the right size, according to their own chart. Pretty frustrating. I'm contacting Bialetti USA -- see if they have something to say about it. I noticed on other forums around the web that other people are having the same issues.
    Agreed if they look legit I would reach out to them directly and see what they say. Maybe they had a bad run or the materials used were no good. They may say put it under hot water to expand/contract, who knows. I would love to hear the outcome, good luck.

UPDATE: I talked to Bialetti and they claimed to have never heard of the problem I was having with their gaskets, and basically had no solution for me. I know mine is not an isolated case; upon searching the Internet I found scores of other people with the identical issue. It was suggested by some that you have to go through 5-7 pots before the gaskets are "seasoned" and seal properly. Well, that's exactly what is happening now in my case. With no other solution, I decided to continue to try to brew a decent pot. At the seventh attempt, I got a partial pot of drinkable coffee. Okay, that was an improvement over the sputtering mess I'd gotten before. The eighth and ninth pots sputtered more than they should, took a bit longer, but eventually I got complete brews. So, in my case, as with others I've read about, the gasket is settling in, seasoning, whatever you want to call it. I did get a response from one person who suggested I go to a silicone gasket by Primula, sold on Amazon, which was his solution to the problem. That was going to be my next move.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesmike View Post
    UPDATE: I talked to Bialetti and they claimed to have never heard of the problem I was having with their gaskets, and basically had no solution for me. I know mine is not an isolated case; upon searching the Internet I found scores of other people with the identical issue. It was suggested by some that you have to go through 5-7 pots before the gaskets are "seasoned" and seal properly. Well, that's exactly what is happening now in my case. With no other solution, I decided to continue to try to brew a decent pot. At the seventh attempt, I got a partial pot of drinkable coffee. Okay, that was an improvement over the sputtering mess I'd gotten before. The eighth and ninth pots sputtered more than they should, took a bit longer, but eventually I got complete brews. So, in my case, as with others I've read about, the gasket is settling in, seasoning, whatever you want to call it. I did get a response from one person who suggested I go to a silicone gasket by Primula, sold on Amazon, which was his solution to the problem. That was going to be my next move.
    It sounds like you were very determined to find a solution to your problem. It's good to see that you didn't give up, and you kept on trying until you started seeing good results. I hope it stays that way!

Rose

Rose, yes, very determined. I love my Bialetti and, though frustrated with the new gasket ordeal, wasn't going to let that stand in the way of my coffee! I do have a 6-cup as well, so I always had that to fall back on.

Mike, Bialetti didn't offer to send a new gasket or suggestion a solution in anyway? That surprises me, i always viewed them as a top quality company. After brewing 20+ please report back and let us know if the seating/seasoned process has actually worked as the simplest solution.

No, the woman I spoke to from Bialetti offered no suggestions, no possible solutions. She was baffled. The positive news is that I am now getting consistently good brews -- this after about a dozen attempts of various success. The replacement gasket seems to have "settled in."

I hate to think of having to go through this process every time I change the gasket. I may try those silicone gaskets by Primula anyway as an experiment. Thanks for all the suggestions and comments.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links