Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Banned
    some more photos from the farm instagram.

Organic coffee beans in the Natural-17586814_1882091092034573_2732663493151948800_n.jpgOrganic coffee beans in the Natural-19121055_689902441193639_696334277377261568_n.jpgOrganic coffee beans in the Natural-19984988_325894721186413_8712387236345151488_n.jpg

Banned
    this is from coffeequest website as below.
    apparently, they organize Guatemala trip with their customers in Europe.

Manolo Muralles is the owner of the farm, Las Delicias. (it seems like they both are some sort of business partners. or CoffeeQuest provide some financial supports to use this farm / location and personal for their own business marketing for Europe)

also, do you see "Huehuetenango (still in planning)"?! Yep. they had been planning for past few years and they will be planning for next few.

Over 80% real poor organic farms are at Huehuetenango. I just hope that if CoffeeQuest really wants to take their customers and show the real situation in Guatemala, they should take them to Huehuetenango and see the real situation, not the most beautiful, touristic areas such as Atitlan and Antigua.... but who wants to see the poors, who wants to drive 12 hours, and who wants to check their bags by local police and soldiers and who really wants to hear the sad, and painful stories from the real farmers????

https://www.thecoffeequest.eu/guatemala-origin-trip/
    Guatemala Origin Trip

Together with our friend and partner, Manolo Muralles, The Coffee Quest is diving deep into Guatemala. Dive with us and explore the great diversity this country has to offer. In March we are organizing an origin trip to do just that. We will travel in a small group, and will visit the regions we source coffee from. We will start in Palencia, Fraijanes, with is our homebase and the home of Manolo’s farm, Las Delicias. From there on we will visits farms and mills in; Antigua and Atitlan, and hopefully also Huehuetenango (still in planning).
    Last edited by ensoluna; 02-20-2018 at 07:19 AM.

Banned
    by the way, I am not being negative about a foreign coffee company "supporting" or "using" a farm (any coffee farm whether they are organic or just regular farm), even as a marketing/advertising means.

as long as any coffee farms are being supported, paid well and being recognized in Guatemala and internationally, it is a wonderful thing.
    for the farms, for the buyers and just for promoting coffee industry.

however, as we all know, organic coffee is a very polarizing subject matter but for a person like me, it is not really polarizing because I know, I exactly know what is going on and even know why the online magazine, perfect daily grind (which is a very fine and respectable online coffee publication) is writing that way about Organic farms and even promoting it that way. (it is a business and they have to receive the money from advertisers and also help them to promote their own cause, just the way coffeereview.com does it)

Actually, Henry (the owner of Perfectdailygrind.com) was in Guatemala and reached out to me to meet. (I think that was last year or so)

I was in Quetzaltenango working with my customers, so I was not able to meet him back then. I believe that he was in Guatemala just for couple of days. But I highly doubt that he really have had visited any "real" coffee farms and talked to "real" coffee workers that he should write about because most of them are in very remote regions that requires a lot of traveling and "pains" to get there....

if you ask me that is how most of us are. (yes, including me in a lot of cases).
    we all would like to avoid "difficult subject matters", Painful situations.
    if you are wearing a brand spanking new "white" $150 sneakers, you rather walk to visit a farm in Antigua where everything is clean, neat and convenient, rather than a farm in Huehue which is 10 times longer distance, dirty, muddy, smelly and sloppy mountain side, and event there is a good chance that your car might slide over a cliff and die!

I mean who want that right?!

However, if you really want to understand about 3rd country coffee origin situation, you got to take the chance of risking your "internet-educated" beliefs and your $1000.00 bag-pack and go where the majority of coffee farmers are at. Talk to them, and talk to the coffee workers (not the owners) and see the real situation for yourself. then, you will realize ...that you have been living in a world of make-believe.....
    Last edited by ensoluna; 02-20-2018 at 08:28 AM.

Super Moderator
    I would love to have coffee quest chime in on this...do you talk with them ever?
    "Wine is for aging, not coffee."
    Ken Hutchinson, Starsky and Hutch

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by topher View Post
    I would love to have coffee quest chime in on this...do you talk with them ever?
    well... we would love to ... but we are like mmmmm a small fly on a hippo's butt?!! (actually not so many buyers care much about our company. too small, too personal, too expensive and A middle aged Korean guy running the place??? are you kidding? big boys who have too much egos will never trust our company :+)

we ain't gonna make any difference and they are too busy to give us any time of the day....

anyway, here is the email of Michiel Lampers (one of the owners) michiel@thecoffeequest.eu

Perhaps, YOU can ask him personally. maybe he will reply back to you, Topher. (Toher,... :+) Just tell him that you own a 10,000 acre "organic" farm in Acatenango, Guatemala and you are willing to give away your "87 point Organic Bourbon" at $1.20 per pound. I can guarantee you that he will drop Las Delicia like a handful of super hot roasted coffee beans and go with you 100%, ha ha ha)

good luck!

Banned
    ha ha ha,... just kidding Topher.

please disregard what I mentioned about them being a hippo.
    Acutally Michiel is a nice guy. I talk to them often enough (via email). below email is the email I got from Michiel just few days ago this month.
    and matter of fact, I am preparing some samples for him when I arrive to Guatemala.

Michiel Lampers
    Feb 4
    to me

Hi Alex,

That sound good, thank you very much for the offer.
    I’m currently piecing together a trip, and will let you know if we can meet, perhaps just for an afternoon.
    I won’t be participating on a weeklong buying trip, how inviting it might sound.

I would like to talk a bit more concerning the stock lots you can offer from you own farms.
    80 points, classic profile like Huehue sounds interesting to me.
    I’m looking for very price effective addition to my assortment, on which we want to be able to build into the foreseeable future.
    We are currently gathering parchment samples in Guatemala for this reason. Do you have inventory available for sales which you can send us a sample from?

Best regards,

Michiel Lampers
    International Direct Sourcing BV
    Energieweg 10
    2382NJ, Zoeterwoude
    The Netherlands
    Last edited by ensoluna; 02-20-2018 at 10:29 AM.

Banned
    by the way, of course, I did not ask about finca las delisa and their organic project.
    that is their own business and I have no right to judge any of them.

matter of fact, I am glad that they are working with Las Delisa with organic coffee and promoting Guatemalan organic and other beans.

Topher, as you may well know, we all can not do business like "John P" from Utah, right? (even though he is selling "boba drinks" because his wife is from Taiwan...)

if customers want to buy "ground coffee" yes, grind them and sell them.
    if they want, "morning wood ground coffee", why not.
    if they want some Luwak?, *shit!. if you have them, sell them.

To me, it is about Ethics. And I know that I can not do business like John P. I have to give what customers want, if not, I can not even be in Coffee business, specially as a Korean, in Guatemala coffee industry. (I have been there more than five years... still I am the only Asian guy who has own company farm and green coffee exporting company that works with all the farms and coops in all the regions in Guatemala. there are some Asians selling beans here and there, but they do in very small, private scale, working with a farm or two in same area, without any licenses.)

But perhaps, that is why I do what I do. at least, I can try to help the coffee communities, workers, families... as much as I can and as hard as I can.

Ethics means a person's fundamental orientation toward life. It means what is good and what is not good.

if you ask me, I am trying to cover up "what is not good" with "what is good". I guess that I am EVEN in life?! :+)

PS: by the way, above *shit! is just an expression. I did not intentionally mean to say that about Luwak coffee. LOL
    Last edited by ensoluna; 02-20-2018 at 10:43 AM.

Banned
    today, I will tell you bit about organic farms, how they get to become organic farms. Again, I only know the situation in Guatemala where I work as green bean exporter & coffee farm owner. (organic? hello NO :+)

if some of you think that I am bull-shitting, then, please come to Huehuetenango and ask around... then, you will really know. Until then, I will just tell you.
    When we (consumers) want organic coffee beans more and more, believing that the organic beans are safer, healthier and in some cases, better beans than regular coffee beans, more of small / poor coffee farms will go out of business.

let me explain.
    when there are more demands for organic, green bean importers have to look for more organic beans and import into this country.

now, let's change the scenes to very small / poor coffee farms in remote areas in Huehue. these farms harvest from 20 bags to 50 bags a year and believe it or not, these types of small farms are the majority of coffee farms in entire Guatemala. Huge big farms are very uncommon.

if there are 50 small farms, there is one coop in that area who collect all the beans and sell to overseas buyers or sell to other bigger exporters in Guatemala.
    These farms are just barely making a living, breaking even...
    Then, USA importer shows up to the coop and tell them that He would like to buy more organic beans from the coop. And in a way, "threaten" the coop by saying "if you can not produce enough organic, we will take our business somewhere else".
    so, the coop has to force the small farms to become organic farms.

the coop tells the farms that he would not buy their beans anymore unless they become organic.
    at the end, the small farms must listen and do it.

if you ask me, why they have to? because they are so small, weak and financially under that they do not even have the transportation or money to take their beans to other coops in different regions. (normally, local coop has their own small truck that collect the beans from small farms). these small farms have been depended on that coop for generations that they really can not change to other coop.

then, they will have to turn into organic farm which will take 3 years to be certified and during 3 years, their production will decrease by 25% to 35% each year. Then, financially, they are under which they have to get loan from bank or other methods with very high interests, to make the living meanwhile. So, when they finally become organic farms, they are under debt and their annual income is actually much lower than before.

Organic beans get paid $0.30 more than other beans, but only 30% to 35% of $0.30 actually goes to the farmers, other 65% to 70% will be spent by coop, advertising, certification fees and so forth. so many of small farms go out of business and they are being bought off by big coffee corporations.

THIS IS ABOUT 70% OF REAL ORGANIC FARM STORY. (again, other country might be different, but in Guatemala, it is the truth. However, I am kind of sure that other countries will be more or less same story)

if you have any other questions, please let me know.

Banned
    not 100% what it says is true, but most of them is true.

Farmers are abandoning organic coffee ? and it?s your fault ? Coffee & Conservation

Banned
    yep! below is from International Coffee Organization - What's New International Coffee Organization website, under developing a sustainable coffee economy.
    anyway, I am so glad that it says "Coffee also makes...etc", not "Organic coffee also makes...etc".

Developing a sustainable coffee economy

Coffee also makes a positive contribution on the social side to maintaining substantial rural employment and stable communities. Improving the living standards of coffee producers, especially smallholders, is a priority for Governments, as highlighted at the last World Coffee Conference. Relevant ICO activities include building the capacity of institutions, improving access to credit and risk management mechanisms, reducing vulnerability to income volatility and promoting gender equality.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links