Trader Joe's Colombian Supreme

13mh13

Mar 21, 2018
Visit site
It's been about four years since I used TJ's Colombian Supreme (a Medium Roast). I used to French Press it for about 4mins. And it tasted just fine .

Did the same on some new TJ Colombian Supreme I purch'd a week ago. And it tasted like nothing (water). I tried again, increasing French Press time to 5 mins. A hint of flavor. Tried again for 6mins ... much flavor has returned (from what I remember of this variety, years back). I may have to tack on an addit. 30 sec. to 1min.

So what happened? Did I get a bad batch? Has TJ quality (or QC) slipped?

I like Light or Medium roasts. Are there target French Press times for these roasts?

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I know they change vendors from time to time. I know my friend roasted for them for years and just lost their contract. Could be its someone else roasting it.

JoeConiglioArmenia

Nov 10, 2017
NYC
Visit site
So many variables, this could be the case. As the OP said it could just have been stale coffee, luck of the draw. Hopefully not the norm because all the traders coffee I buy is good for the price.

I know they change vendors from time to time. I know my friend roasted for them for years and just lost their contract. Could be its someone else roasting it.

13mh13

Mar 21, 2018
Visit site
Dunno about TJ's quality as of the last few years.
I prefer light roasts.
About 8yrs ago, TJ discont. a light roast that I thought was the best coffee they offered. Don't recall the name of that roast.
Since then, almost no light roast at TJs (at least not here in S. Calif.) ... until just "recently" (??) ... I've seen a few lights.
Maybe the new Calif. coffee/cancer warnings will prompts roasters to offer more lights?

Speaking of lights, from certain Wal-Marts, one can find Coffee Bean/Tea Leaf brand 10% Kona (Light roast, whole Bean). It's not bad. Not as good a deal as some TJ. But seems to be better than the TJ Colomb.