Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What is the best water for coffee ?

I've been researching the topic "best water for coffee" -- and coming up somewhat mixed suggestions. Many web articles say tap water is fine (may be best because it has ideal balance of minerals, etc.)
    I used to use distilled, and that tasted good (to me). Heeding the various comments on "importance" having minerals, I tried mountain water; and, then, purified water (with mineral added). (Both these were purch'd at grocery store in the common 1-gall plastic jug). These were about on par with distilled.
    This morning I finally tried tap, and the coffee was not so good (more bitter, less flavor). I live in the Los Angeles area where tap water is reported to be above average.

Any one with similar or different experience?
    Last edited by 13mh13; 04-07-2018 at 08:48 AM.

Ideally you have a water with some mineral content.... a lot of shops use RO water and minerals back into the water. The challenge with tap water is typically the cholrine - mineral content and other nasties in the water vary by your region. Distilled should have tasted a little flat... out of your options the purified water w/ minerals would probably be best (or maybe tap through a filter system). There is a product on the market called 3rd wave water.. its basically a mineral additive for distilled water - it may be your best bet if your local water is not great.

The gallon-jug purified water (w/minerals) I use is Nestle or Gerber Baby water. Avail. at WalMart.

I'm in the middle of experimenting with Third Wave water right now and while it does make the coffee taste different I can't say it's better. I'm going to try a different brand of distilled water and see it that makes a difference. I have been using the Pure filtered pitchers which does a great job of removing the chlorine and makes our water taste much better.

DuffyJr... I'm kinda where you are with 3rd Wave water... it certainly made a difference in taste but it was relative. However, we are in the midwest and have very good tap water (at least here in KC we do). At least I don't have a lot of crap in the water to filter out.

I sampled-tasted just the (raw) water of 3 different (commercial) gallon-jug varieties incl. Arrowhead (spring), Nestle (purified w/added minerals), and another purified variety. All are around $1/gallon jug.
    And I also tasted tap.

Hmmm .... the tap tasted best. Not sure why? Maybe the plastic in jug adds some flavor????

I'll have re-try the coffee with tap (btw: I always French press).

I used to use mostly distilled and that, IIRC, made good coffee. It's been a while .... maybe another experiment. Yeah, yeah .... all the coffee experts say it's not good. Stay tuned ....
    Last edited by 13mh13; 04-08-2018 at 08:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duffyjr View Post
    I have been using the Pure filtered pitchers which does a great job of removing the chlorine and makes our water taste much better.
    From their product literature, none of the filtered water pitchers (Pur, Britta) remove chlorine. And they also don't filter out fluoride. RO and distilled are your best bets if you don't want these elements.

Quote Originally Posted by 13mh13 View Post
    From their product literature, none of the filtered water pitchers (Pur, Britta) remove chlorine. And they also don't filter out fluoride. RO and distilled are your best bets if you don't want these elements.
    I haven't tried using just plain distilled water to brew a cup, I will try it.

Our water has a strong chlorine smell that about makes me sick to smell it when it first comes out of the tap. If you leave the water sit out the smell will go away after a few hours but the taste still lingers for much longer. Before I started using Pur pitchers I had a huge pickle jar I would fill and let site out for a couple days and then transfer to smaller manageable jars and put in the fridge. While this did work it was a somewhat of a pain. As far as fluoride the city voted it down so it is not added to our water

Here is a link to the Pur site, under the Home Filters section it does say it removes the chlorine taste, believe me it does work.

https://www.pur.com/the-lab/water-fi...w-do-they-work
    Last edited by Duffyjr; 04-09-2018 at 08:15 AM.

I use a Berkey water filter. Great system!

I experimented with water as follows.

I re-tried plain ol' tap and found the coffee to taste very close to the RO/mineral jug water. I have no idea what I did this time, which led to improved flavor.

I tried commercial distilled. Coffee was slightly smoother, but in a pleasant way.

Maybe my coffee taste buds are not so picky after all. Or maybe my experiment methods are flawed

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links