Advise Please: Adjusting grind size

JeremyE

Oct 1, 2018
Visit site
Hi all. My grinder has 39 setting for grind size and it is really hard to determine which to use. I am using a drip coffee maker and that allows me to narrow down the choices to a medium grind but within this range there are still many choices. Can anyone put into words what a small adjustment in grind size will do to the taste of my coffee (Ex: slightly weaker or bolder flavor, more or less bitterness, more or less acidity etc)?

Also, would you recommend adjusting the grind size at all depending on light roast vs medium roast vs dark roast?

Thanks for any advice!

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Jeremy,

What kind of grinder do you have?

Did it come with an instruction manual? Usually the manual will list a range for the grind sizes for different methods of brewing coffee, along with suggestions for settings. From there, you'll need to find what setting is right for you - and how you like the taste of your coffee.

Your brewing method is important, including what kind of coffee brewer you're using. What kind of drip brewer do you have?

~ Rose

JeremyE

Oct 1, 2018
Visit site
Jeremy,

What kind of grinder do you have?

Did it come with an instruction manual? Usually the manual will list a range for the grind sizes for different methods of brewing coffee, along with suggestions for settings. From there, you'll need to find what setting is right for you - and how you like the taste of your coffee.

Your brewing method is important, including what kind of coffee brewer you're using. What kind of drip brewer do you have?

~ Rose

I have the Krups AutoDose grinder
found at crate and barrel (can't give link because site bans it for new users)

I have the Krups coffee maker
found on amazon(can't give link because site bans it for new users)

I get that a finer grind will be stronger flavor, but dont know what that means for terms to describe to a more sophisticated coffee drinker. (ex: bitterness, acidity, nutty etc)
Also, I don't know if I would want to adjust slightly the grind size depending on the roast I am using.