Reheating cold coffee

lunfardi

Jun 18, 2016
Visit site
[h=1]Can instant coffee be used to make cold brew coffee or not? Other than ground roast coffee, what other kind of coffee can be used to make cold brew coffee? Can cold brew coffee be reheated or add boiling water to a small portion to make a cup of joe? reheat or add boiling water?[/h]

[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I'm not sure why you are interested in finding ways to manipulate instant coffee into what you are calling "cold brew." Are you referring to iced coffee?? (Cold coffee with ice cubes in it?)

It's possible to make "iced coffee" from instant coffee. Just make the hot instant coffee, let it cool down, and than add ice to it. It's all a matter of taste - you may like it, or you may not.

If you try adding hot water to the cold instant coffee, you will dilute it, and it will end up being diluted coffee water.

Cold coffee can be reheated in the microwave to turn it back into hot coffee. It will have a strong bitter taste, but it can be done. You may like it, or you may not.

In order to really make real cold brewed coffee, you need to use ground roasted coffee, not instant. There's no way to get around it.

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_make_cold_brew_coffee/

RonnieCabana

Oct 17, 2018
Visit site
[FONT=q_serif]instant coffee is totally soluble in water and actually it’s not getting brewed while you mix the coffee with water . In fact the instant coffee is made after brewing the coffee and spray dried , hence in this case it is already brewed ,it doesn’t make any difference as far as brewing is concerned .[/FONT]

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I know people who take cold brew and add hot water to it. When I first used "Toddy" they had recipes for hot coffee using their cold brew. It takes away so much acidity and some love their hot coffee like that. It's been a while but I think they said use 1/3 concentrate to 2/3 hot water. Side not never use boiling water with coffee...it sours the coffee.

branson

Feb 21, 2019
Visit site
maybe in a pinch if you don't have any other beans around you can use instant coffee to make cold brew but otherwise you should probally steer clear.