Best coffee making method?

coffeeNow

Jan 21, 2019
Visit site
Here's something I often think about: how do most people actually make coffee?

So: quick poll - what's your favorite way to make coffee?

Here are the options:

1. Espresso machine
  2. Drip machine
  3. Drip "manual" (no machine)
  4. Cafetiere (French Press)
  5. Bean-to-cup machine
  6. Capsule machine
  7. Percolator
  8. Moka pot
  9. Other
And WHY do you like it?

?

coffeeNow

Jan 21, 2019
Visit site
I normally use a drip machine for convenience but sometimes use a cafetiere for a different flavor.

My parents use a capsule machine - convenient but expensive (and all the capsules taste similar!).

My brother always uses an espresso machine but it is slow to make more than two cups.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
#1) Espresso, #2) Pour Over - usually V60 #3) Drip out of Bonavita

The why... well I mainly drink latte's/capps so obviously need an espresso machine. Followed by 'drip' methods... I use the V60 when making a single cup / Bonavita multiple cups.

gigacoffee

Jan 25, 2019
Visit site
I switch it up between a percolator and a Chemex depending on what I'm feeling that day. I love the body a Chemex coffee can give but a percolator gives a great strong cup.

R010159

Jan 17, 2019
Visit site
#1) Espresso, #2) Pour Over - usually V60 #3) Drip out of Bonavita

The why... well I mainly drink latte's/capps so obviously need an espresso machine. Followed by 'drip' methods... I use the V60 when making a single cup / Bonavita multiple cups.

I think the problem with drip coffee makers is the temperature used for the brewing, at least here in the USA. Ever since McDonalds was sued for the extremely hot coffee they served, they reduced the brewing temperature. The drip coffee makers followed by doing the same. This is the primary reason I tried French Press, and now the “pour over” technique. I now have control over the temperature.

PS I think I just gave away my age. ;)

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Lately a drip coffee maker with a spring valve on the basket, but I remove the pot from underneath long enough to let the basket fill up and properly wet the grounds...which I also agitate with a spoon. I do this several times before leaving the pot under for the rest of the brew cycle. It is a great way to make a cheap drip maker behave like a more expensive unit, but can be a problem when I forget to replace the pot before the basket overflows!!!

Stine

Jun 6, 2019
Toronto, ON
Visit site
Coffee extraction is fascinating in all its forms, but I have to go with Espresso for my #1. It is so beautifully complicated and requires a professional chemist approach to the process.
Close #2 goes to the Aeropress for taste, simplicity, and variety...

I believe that it depends on kind of beverage (just coffee, cappuccino, eg), beans, toast, personal taste and moment.

For example I prefer an espresso machine for beverages with milk such as cappuccino and latte, french press when I need caffeine, V60 to taste a new package of beans.