Espresso Terms and Definitions Espresso Drink Types, Espresso Machine Parts and More

Zecryphon

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I only made latte and cappuccino with it in the last couple of years. All other names sound suspicious to me...
No need to be suspicious of the ristretto, that's just pouring a shot of espresso on top of the drink instead of on the bottom. I always got my Macchiattos with a ristretto shot.

mawil1013

Jan 25, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Visit site
Actually a ristretto is just a shorter version of an espresso. Basically means a restricted shot... >>double shot equals an oz.<<

https://coffeefaq.com/many-ounces-shot-espresso/A shot of espresso is considered to be one (fluid) ounce, while a double shot is two (fluid) ounces. A fluid ounce is 30 mL (as opposed to an ounce by weight being 28 g). This volume refers to the espresso shot volume (water) that gets passed through the espresso.

mawil1013

Jan 25, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Visit site
topher; Hey there, sorry, it looked like you wrote; "double shot equals an oz.", Which I took literally, my mistake, I took it out of context of the sentence. Let me throw this out there; I agree!
[h=2]"Ounces per Ristretto Shot[/h] A ristretto is a half ounce (15 mL) of water passed through the same quantity of coffee beans (7 grams) – specifically, first 15 mL – the shot is cut short. Therefore a double ristretto gives you the same quantity of fluid of a single regular ounce (2 x 15 mL = 30 mL), but takes more time, coffee and labour because the process has to be done twice.

Ristretto shots are popular among those that consider themselves “Aficionados” because the “best” part of the espresso comes out near the beginning. As the shot nears the 20 second mark and later, more bitter compounds are extracted from the coffee as compared to the beginning.

Additionally, more coffee solids are extracted near the beginning of the shot, which is why it typically looks dark, thick and syrupy at first and begins to look like golden water at the end. These solids – including caffeine but also caramelized sugars and chlorogenic acids – add to the flavor of the espresso. Overall, a double ristretto will contain the same number of ounces as a regular shot of espresso, but the higher amount of dissolved solids means it will be thicker and more flavorful."

https://coffeefaq.com/many-ounces-shot-espresso/

Question: Wouldn't this only be good to those drinking a straight gulp only and never mixing it with milk? No way all those subtle tastes are going to over power milk, sugar, and whatever else, to me it would seem an extravagant waster unless drinking only the reduced shot by itself?