BIC

Do flavored coffees deserve higher pricing than normal coffee?

I just was at Sprouts market.
    they do carry a lot of selection of different types of coffees from different countries, roasting profiles, along with many flavored coffees.
    I have realized that flavored coffee pricing was one dollar higher per pound than normal coffee (like Colombia, Guatemala...etc).
    Does really flavored coffee deserve to be sold at higher pricing?
    or is it just another marketing gimmick from coffee giants?

Super Moderator
    The one dollar higher per pound covers the cost of the flavoring and the effort to put it into the coffee.
    The extra steps to include the flavoring increases the cost of production, so they raise the price.

BIC
    but the coffee itself (green beans) for favored coffee are being sold at really cheap pricing. the cheapest end of commercial bean pricing.
    Most of buyers use this type of cheap coffee for flavored coffee in order to cover up the bad coffee flavors of the coffee.
    PS: regular commercial beans cupping scores range from 70 to 79.

Super Moderator
    Now I'm curious.

We have a lot of people on this Coffee Forum who roast (and sell) coffee.

My question to them is: Do you use cheap coffee beans when you make flavored coffee so that the flavoring covers up the taste of the cheap coffee???

~ Rose

I think most roasters who use flavoring tend to use lower-cost beans... there are 2-3 players in our market that do flavored coffees. All of their coffees sell under $8/12oz... at that price point via grocery I would be shocked if it was even specialty coffee (has to cup out at 80 points or higher). In most cases uses a higher quality coffee makes no sense because the flavoring is much stronger than any origin flavor. Next time you see a bag of flavored coffee - look to see if they even mention the origin.
    Last edited by Musicphan; 06-21-2019 at 12:34 PM.

BIC
    yes, Mike is correct. About flavored coffee.
    same for the organic beans. Nobody cultivates (I mean from coffee farmer side) organic beans when they can produce better beans (80 plus)
    normally organic beans are under 80 points.
    that is why you will never find good SOC beans, selling higher than $20 plus per 12 oz, with organic label on it.

Super Moderator
    I use high quality coffee for flavored. It is not too expensive but is great coffee. I have always done this. My opinion is if you start with garbage you end up with garbage. My last company we sold coffee online. We were selling 50k lbs of flavored coffee a month. The repeat orders were huge! If I would have tried to be cheap and hide faults with commercial grade coffee we would have never received repeat orders. The flavor runs me anywhere from $.50 to $.75 to flavor a lb. I charge the same as I do on my other coffees. I make up that money on the price of the coffee I buy by the container.
    "Wine is for aging, not coffee."
    Ken Hutchinson, Starsky and Hutch

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by topher View Post
    I use high quality coffee for flavored. It is not too expensive but is great coffee. I have always done this. My opinion is if you start with garbage you end up with garbage. My last company we sold coffee online. We were selling 50k lbs of flavored coffee a month. The repeat orders were huge! If I would have tried to be cheap and hide faults with commercial grade coffee we would have never received repeat orders. The flavor runs me anywhere from $.50 to $.75 to flavor a lb. I charge the same as I do on my other coffees. I make up that money on the price of the coffee I buy by the container.
    It's great to know that not everyone uses low-grade coffee when they make flavored coffee.

I remember when I worked in a town that had two candy/chocolate shops on the same long street. Chocolate covered strawberries were popular items, and one shop used fresh, plump (more expensive) strawberries when they dipped them in chocolate, and the other place used whatever they got on sale at the supermarket. Even though the strawberries were covered with chocolate, people noticed the difference.

You're correct when you said, " . . . if you start with garbage you end up with garbage" I wish more people would understand that.

Super Moderator
    Rose, So I have had people voice concern that there is sugar in our flavored coffee. I assure them there isn't any sugar that its the coffee that is sweet
    "Wine is for aging, not coffee."
    Ken Hutchinson, Starsky and Hutch

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links