Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    BIC

All the cafes in Central & South America aren't serving straws to customers....

As of this year, all the cafes and restaurants aren't allowed to serve or give plastic straws to customers (but other plastic items are okay, such as plastic bags, plastic cup lids...etc, only straws) in order to save Sea Turtles....
    Apparently this accord was initiated by USA but still this hasn't enforced here in USA.
    what do you think about this and what is your opinion about saving turtles by not serving plastic straws?

One of the main reasons people started using disposable tableware is hygiene; one thing people don't want to talk about when they want to stop using disposable tableware is hygiene.
    The first thing came to my mind when I saw bamboo straws in Costa Rica was "is this thing even clean/anybody used it before me?"

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BIC View Post
    As of this year, all the cafes and restaurants aren't allowed to serve or give plastic straws to customers (but other plastic items are okay, such as plastic bags, plastic cup lids...etc, only straws) in order to save Sea Turtles....
    Apparently this accord was initiated by USA but still this hasn't enforced here in USA.
    what do you think about this and what is your opinion about saving turtles by not serving plastic straws?
    Here in the United States, it's been up to the individual cities and towns to decide whether or not to ban the use of plastic bags, straws, cups, etc. I think Starbucks has already stopped giving out plastic straws, but I don't remember reading anything about why they decided to make the change.

It would be nice if the individual shops owners, who decide to eliminate plastic straws, would replace them with paper ones. Amazon sells wrapped paper straws, and I'm sure other places do too.

The reason for wrapped paper straws is they are "biodegradable": the same reason they degrade right in your mouth!

BIC
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkRose View Post
    Here in the United States, it's been up to the individual cities and towns to decide whether or not to ban the use of plastic bags, straws, cups, etc. I think Starbucks has already stopped giving out plastic straws, but I don't remember reading anything about why they decided to make the change.
    isn't it nice that we (USA) has a choice on this matter, but not in other central American countries? Over there, that is mandatory.
    I find that kind of strange and condescending when this was initiated by USA environmental agency.
    They (other countries) are mandatory, but us, it is voluntary......even though we started it....

PS : all the Starbucks in my area, Los Angeles country still serves plastic straws.

BIC
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyCoffee View Post
    The reason for wrapped paper straws is they are "biodegradable": the same reason they degrade right in your mouth!
    They should charge a nickle for a straw.. like a plastic bag in a grocery market.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BIC View Post
    All the Starbucks in my area, Los Angeles country still serves plastic straws.
    I just read that Starbucks plans to phase out the plastic straws in all of their stores by 2020. They plan to have biodegradable cup lids that are designed for sipping and they may switch to the paper straws, but people will have to ask for them.

First of all, who uses straws to drink coffee?
    Maybe people like Stella Liebeck who plan to get $3 million?
    Last edited by WhyCoffee; 06-29-2019 at 05:43 PM.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyCoffee View Post
    First of all, who uses straws to drink coffee?
    Maybe people like Stella Liebeck who plan to get $3 million?
    I'm pretty sure the straws are for the iced beverages.

A paper straw would work, if you drink the iced beverage in a reasonable amount of time (before the straw gets soggy).

I prefer using a straw. I hate those sippy cup lids.
    Last edited by PinkRose; 06-30-2019 at 07:57 AM.

This is from Jura: Coffee tastes its best when served hot. That's why all professionals work with correctly pre-warmed cups as a matter of principle. If hot coffee is poured into cold porcelain cups, a lot of heat is lost. Too much, in fact. In pre-warmed cups, however, the mouthwatering aroma is released in its entirety. With the elegant, slim cup warmer, JURA offers the ideal accessory for any automatic speciality coffee machine. Two heating elements constantly keep the cups at a temperature of approximately 131°F – ideal for preparing a fiery espresso or a cappuccino topped with milk foam.

So pre-warmed cups should be preferred. If I have to use paper cups, I never put lids on them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links