Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    BIC

Hard water bloom vs Soft water bloom : taste the difference?

in Pour over, hard water does bigger bloom perhaps due to calcium and magnesium in hard water, but it extract more CO2 hence bigger bloom.
    soft water does not do the same big bloom, less CO2 extraction.

let's say after using hard and soft water for blooming, then, use RO water for the rest of both pour over.
    how do both come out? what would be the differences of cupping profile?

Quote Originally Posted by BIC View Post
    in Pour over, hard water does bigger bloom perhaps due to calcium and magnesium in hard water, but it extract more CO2 hence bigger bloom.
    soft water does not do the same big bloom, less CO2 extraction.

let's say after using hard and soft water for blooming, then, use RO water for the rest of both pour over.
    how do both come out? what would be the differences of cupping profile?
    What’s a hard water bloom and a soft water bloom?

BIC
    Quote Originally Posted by wstsider View Post
    What’s a hard water bloom and a soft water bloom?
    hard water is water that contains calcium & magnesium and few other minerals.
    soft water is water with sodium only.

as example, rainwater is naturally soft water, but as the rain water makes it thru the ground and into our waterways, the rain water picks up minirals like calcium and magnesium and few others and this hard water is our preferred drinking water.

when you make pour over or chemex or any other similar types, as you know, we pour the water into the coffee ground to make bloom, initially. then, wait 2 or 3 min and then, start pouring the water to make the coffee.

when you use hard water, due to calcium and magnesium, this water extracts more CO2 from the coffee ground. Making bigger bloom than soft water which only has sodium.
    This bigger bloom actually changes the coffee tasting profile and few other things.

hopefully I have explained to you with bit more detail.
    thanks.

BIC
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyCoffee View Post
    Here is the biggest problem: you have to boil water before you pour (unless you do cold brew). Check the inside of your water kettle if you have hard water: it will be covered with deposit. If you know the deposit is calcium and magnesium and almost 100% of those in your hard water is removed, you'd know there is really no difference between hard and soft water after boiling. Test the hardness of your boiled water to convince yourself.
    when you simmer water (simmer=just barely boiling which we need for pour over), the minerals stay in water (but only pure water evaporate into the air, so if you boil and lose the water by evaporation, you will have even more concentrated minerals).
    but by simmering the water just for pour over, the minerals will stay put in the liquid water.

but if you boil all the water away (but who does that, right? for making pour over. that would be beyond dumb, ha ha ha), all of the minerals will collect inside the pot and it will look like white ring on the walls of the pot.

also, if you boil the water half way, then, you will have concentrated minerals in water because all the minerals will stay put inside of the water.

BIC
    I guess this is from God then (I found it when I opened a coffee machine heater block recently):
    Attachment 10084
    Since this is not from water but God, hardness in water remains.

Now I really hope it's oil instead: we would have unlimited oil/energy supply!
    I guess that I can explain more in detail, but that would be meaningless at this point in time.
    so, let's just say...."it is from God".

BIC
    Just try to imagine this: you remove gold from water and hold it in your hand, then you find there is more gold in water...
    It is called "whycoffee gold rush" which began on January 24, 1848 when gold was found by Mr. James W. Whycoffee" at Sutter's Mill in Coloma, California. This news made about 300K people to California from the rest of USA.

This sudden influx of gold into the money supply reinvigorated the American economy (Make America Great Again!) and sudden population increased allowed California to go rapidly to statehood, in the compromise of 1850.

the "whycoffee gold rush" had severe effects on Native Californians and resulted in a precipitous native population decline from disease, genocide and starvation.

By the time it ended, California had gone from a thinly populated ex-Mexican territory to having one of its first two U.S. Senators, John C Fremont, selected to be the first presidential nominee of the new Republican Party in 1856.

All thanks to "whycoffee gold rush".

Hard water bloom vs Soft water bloom : taste the difference?-1850_woman_and_men_in_california_gold_rush.jpg

PS: the guy on the far left is Sr. Porque-Cafe from Baja California :+)

There is already talk about gold , and I would like to return to the topic of water and how it affects the taste of coffee.

I was always interested in the question of whether water affects the taste of coffee. I conducted a study and learned that both hard and soft water affect the taste of the drink, and make it worse.

Coffee will become bland if you use hard or mineralized water. However, too soft water for coffee also does not add flavor to the aromatic drink. You need to choose something in between.

I conducted an experiment with distilled water. I know that there are people who specifically buy a water distiller for the house (by the way, there are a lot of models to choose) and like to make coffee with it. I also bought, cleaned the water and made a cup of coffee. The taste was strange. But all right, it means we’ll just drink clean water, and for a coffee machine I'll buy water in gallons.

have you ever had coffee with distilled water?

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Albertmitchell View Post
    There is already talk about gold , and I would like to return to the topic of water and how it affects the taste of coffee.

I was always interested in the question of whether water affects the taste of coffee. I conducted a study and learned that both hard and soft water affect the taste of the drink, and make it worse.

Coffee will become bland if you use hard or mineralized water. However, too soft water for coffee also does not add flavor to the aromatic drink. You need to choose something in between.

I conducted an experiment with distilled water. I know that there are people who specifically buy a water distiller for the house (by the way, there are a lot of models to choose) and like to make coffee with it. I also bought, cleaned the water and made a cup of coffee. The taste was strange. But all right, it means we’ll just drink clean water, and for a coffee machine I'll buy water in gallons.

Thanks for getting this back on topic, AlbertMitchell !

BIC
    Quote Originally Posted by Albertmitchell View Post
    Yes, thank you for not bring up GOLD matter :+)
    honestly speaking, NOT YET.
    but perhaps I can buy a distilled water and experiment it vs RO water that I use for my coffee methods.
    I think that I can do it today...

Using RO water is my solution

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links