BIC

Why is a cup of coffee so expensive? do you agree on what he says on this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SM2...&index=15&t=0s

In this youtube video, James Hoffmann address why a cup of coffee is so expensive and breaks down the cost, rent, labor, product...etc
    some, I agree, but some don't.

if you are retailer, I am sure that you will have your own take on this.
    please share your comments.
    thanks

I hadn't seen this before... I think its pretty spot on regarding the numbers / costs .

BIC
    Quote Originally Posted by Musicphan View Post
    I hadn't seen this before... I think its pretty spot on regarding the numbers / costs .
    hi musicphan, i have a question for you, since you are a roaster and know about this.
    in the vid, he said that there isn't much of cost difference (compared to entire coffee price cost in break down) whether using cheap coffee vs rather good and expensive coffee. of course, I am talking about the bottom line / profit for the owner.

what do you think about his comment on this matter?

Yes - I think James is accurate when talking about the raw coffee ingredient costs... and you have to keep in mind he is talking about specialty coffee from the average specialty coffee cafe. Most specialty coffee will run at least $9-10/lb on the low-end, and on the top 'average' end is about $15-16 lbs. Certainly you have coffee's that are ACEs/COE/Auction lots that are much more expensive, those are the extremes and I don't think what James was talking about.

Coffee Math: 18 gr per double shot of espresso... roughly 25 shots per lb. If you are using a $10/lb coffee your roughly .40 coffee COGS, at $15/lb .60 coffee COGS. Only .20 per drink difference between low and top end... not much in the overall cost of the drink.

BIC
    Quote Originally Posted by Musicphan View Post
    Yes - I think James is accurate when talking about the raw coffee ingredient costs... and you have to keep in mind he is talking about specialty coffee from the average specialty coffee cafe. Most specialty coffee will run at least $9-10/lb on the low-end, and on the top 'average' end is about $15-16 lbs. Certainly you have coffee's that are ACEs/COE/Auction lots that are much more expensive, those are the extremes and I don't think what James was talking about.

Coffee Math: 18 gr per double shot of espresso... roughly 25 shots per lb. If you are using a $10/lb coffee your roughly .40 coffee COGS, at $15/lb .60 coffee COGS. Only .20 per drink difference between low and top end... not much in the overall cost of the drink.
    thanks for info Musicphan.
    I guess that if the cafe owner works in his cafe as a barista and also he can actually own that establishment, I guess he can really make some decent money....meanwhile serving some great coffees for his customers...

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links