BIC

Is cascara banned in your country?

i have heard about a year or two ago that cascara was banned in UK and few other EU countries.
    I wonder whether it is also banned in USA and Canada.

I do sell some naturals and I collect the cascara from the processing factory later on.
    we use them for tea, making some pastry and some people even make cascara chocolate (making home made chocolate in Guatemala is quite popular).
    I wonder whether people knows about the cascaras and how they are using them...
    thanks for your future comments.

Anybody ever tried coffee tree leaves yet? That's probably banned too?

Its available in the US... I only choose from a certified organic farm (yes...yes.. I know) in hopes to reduce the pesticide on the exterior of the cherry.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BIC View Post
    i have heard about a year or two ago that cascara was banned in UK and few other EU countries.
    I wonder whether it is also banned in USA and Canada.

I do sell some naturals and I collect the cascara from the processing factory later on.
    we use them for tea, making some pastry and some people even make cascara chocolate (making home made chocolate in Guatemala is quite popular).
    I wonder whether people knows about the cascaras and how they are using them...
    thanks for your future comments.
    I did a Google search in case people are wondering what Cascara is:

Cascara, which means “husk,” “peel” or “skin” in Spanish, is the dried skins of coffee cherries. These pulped skins are collected after the seeds (aka coffee beans) have been removed from the cherries. They are then dried in the sun before they are packaged and shipped off.

If you would like to add more information, please do.

It's probably not so called "banned". Just most people don't know it's edible or supposed to be eaten. Same as watermelon rind salad: how many people eat it or even know it's edible?

Nope! In our country everything is fine here. People usually grow cascara and today morning I started by day with[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87058823529411] [/COLOR]Coffee cherry tea.

BIC
    Quote Originally Posted by Musicphan View Post
    Its available in the US... I only choose from a certified organic farm (yes...yes.. I know) in hopes to reduce the pesticide on the exterior of the cherry.
    hi musicphan, YUP! I fully understand your "yes...yes.. I know" remark. ha ha ha. however, as for cascara, perhaps organic farm method really might help....

BIC
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieWright View Post
    Nope! In our country everything is fine here. People usually grow cascara and today morning I started by day with[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87058823529411] [/COLOR]Coffee cherry tea.
    your location shows USA, Willie. coffee cascara does not "grow" in USA (unless it is in Hawaii Islands).
    here are some photos of cascara.

Is cascara banned in your country?-cascara16-7e8d5f7e042809bf6bcf82f59ba0a7194f7eebea-s800-c85.jpgIs cascara banned in your country?-cascara2-930x291.jpgIs cascara banned in your country?-61bfb3864c22db4084829b66d50a1043.jpg

#1 photo is the cascara. dried up coffee cherry "skin".
    2 is coffee skin before drying
    3 is natural processed coffee. when you peel off the skin, there is coffee seeds inside and that is what we sell to overseas.

Maybe the question should be addressed further up in the food chain: if something is sold in a supermarket as edible, can you serve it in your restaurant as food? Who decide?
    When travel overseas, I found this ice plant (mesembryanthemum crystallinum) very delicious in salad:
    Is cascara banned in your country?-23540bad58692c09b95a92314cb89c06.jpg
    And it's not available in US. Can I grow it and sell it?

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links