Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    BIC
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyCoffee View Post
    So there is no competition between coffee exporters? Say this one pays $1.22 and the other one want to pay $1.25 just because they like the coffee?
    regular beans like this, even though, the farm potomay regular beans were 83+, when they sell to big exporters, they have to sell it as regular commercial beans (79 to 80 points) and they only get the market pricing of THAT DAY, C price which changes every single day.

Basically, there is commercial beans which regulated by C pricing (plus some more for organic, fairtrade...etc)
    and
    there is specialty beans (85+ and up).
    but in order to sell specialty beans, you have to make the cupping opportunities for each customers and they have to cup and evaluate the beans.
    This is totally different and very time consuming process.

BIC
    by the way, just let you know that even with same bean, some customer can cup and give 83 and some gives 86.
    it is all about the customer's preference on flavors.
    some prefer very sweet and some prefer very fine acidity...etc
    so, in some cases, like my Veneziano, aussie, customer, he always used to rate that Potomay's commercial bean at 86 and we were able to sell it as specialty beans.

but when I say, it takes a lot of work, we always had to take the customer from Guatemala airport to this farm. that is two days of driving. We drive from airport to Huehuetenango (8 hours) and sleep one night. then another 5 hours to the farm from huehuetenango.

customer goes there, make the relationship with the owner, workers, photos, write up stories...etc

Again, huge customers do not have time to do this....

BIC
    It's the same thing with other commodities, such as cotton, right? Cotton from certain parts of the world is just better than from other areas, right? How can they sell higher price when there is a cotton price today too?
    I wouldn't know about cotton pricing. Just know about coffee business in Guatemala, as a farmer, as a coop and an exporter.
    however, I imagine the similar thing as coffee because there are also huge difference in quality of cotton, just like everything else.

BIC
    You can actually do a comparison of coffee with cotton, this shows 5 yrs:
    Attachment 10224
    something is not right.
    as for coffee, right now it is about $1.00 but five years ago, it was about $2.00 which is double.

BIC
    I guess that one of things we can do is buying beans directly from farmers.
    I know it is impossible for small roasters to buy direct, but if there is some sort of Roaster's coop who can buy beans directly and distribute to their own roaster's members, that would really help in so many ways.

Quote Originally Posted by BIC View Post
    I guess that one of things we can do is buying beans directly from farmers.
    I know it is impossible for small roasters to buy direct, but if there is some sort of Roaster's coop who can buy beans directly and distribute to their own roaster's members, that would really help in so many ways.
    Isn't that essentially what a quality importer does? I know they make a bit of profit from importing. I have a good idea of roughly what my importer makes and I don't see it's excessive.

BIC
    honestly, I have no idea how much importers make and I do not really care or worry about that matter because that is another side of business.
    about this matter, in most cases, transparency gets lost among farmer / importer / roaster.
    Importers do not want to reveal too much about their sources in coffee countries (the reason is obvious) and if roasters want to get more info about
    the coffees and farmers and their situations, it has to come thru the importer.

BIC
    by the way, it is exactly same for coffee origin side.
    we have two different ways of exporting coffee.
    one is by huge exporters like cafcom, exportcafe, olam...etc who bully farmers to get whatever cheapest prices on their coffee.
    or
    coffee farmer coops. few or many farms (10 to 100 farms) make their own coop by appointing one capable farm to represent all other farms to export their coffee at bit better pricing with a lot more transparency with detailed information (detailed and "correct" information about the farms and coffee itself) to their buyers.
    Last edited by BIC; 10-10-2019 at 08:16 AM.

great, A cup of coffee is way more batter than wasting time on stupid things. there was a time in Orlando which I quote most of the time, I was sitting on my friends place having a mug filled with coffee, He actually runs a business Limo Services in Orlando. just for to let you guys if you ever go to orlando and need rental services. anyway we enjoyed and recalled all the stupid things that we did in our childhood.
    Last edited by ronaledsmith; 10-10-2019 at 12:27 PM.

I know it is impossible for small roasters to buy direct, but if there is some sort of Roaster's coop who can buy beans directly and distribute to their own roaster's members, that would really help in so many ways. yeah

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links