Opinions Please: What type of milk do you prefer for different coffee beverages?

Erica_L

Oct 16, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone! I am a coffee lover and making a small survey about what type of milk people prefer for different coffee beverages (oat milk, soy, rice, almond and fresh from the cow). Do not hesitate telling me that I missed something! Which one is the most tasteful from your point of view?

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I don't think there are many of us in the U.S. who have tried milk that was "fresh from the cow." The milk that most of us buy in the U.S. is pasteurized to kill harmful bacteria.

I've never been much of a milk drinker. I'm the type of person who leaves the milk in the bottom of my cereal bowl.

I often use a little bit of half & half in my coffee. And, although I've tried, I could never get used to the flavor of other types of milk products (oat, soy, almond).

When I’m at home I use either heavy cream, thanks Starbucks, or Fairlife milk because their are low carb and sugar and I’m keto. One place I use to visit I use to get the unsweetened almond milk but the taste does seem to work either frothed or in an ice latte.

I don't think there are many of us in the U.S. who have tried milk that was "fresh from the cow." The milk that most of us buy in the U.S. is pasteurized to kill harmful bacteria.

I've never been much of a milk drinker. I'm the type of person who leaves the milk in the bottom of my cereal bowl.

I often use a little bit of half & half in my coffee. And, although I've tried, I could never get used to the flavor of other types of milk products (oat, soy, almond).

How do you not like milk? It’s got that vitamin D and calcium you need and it taste great.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
How do you not like milk? It’s got that vitamin D and calcium you need and it taste great.

I just don't like the taste of plain milk. . . . . and I especially don't like the sour "milk breath" that comes afterwards. I know it's good for you, but I still don't like it.

I eat other milk products (ice cream, yogurt, cheese, etc) and I take calcium and vitamin D supplements.

When my kids were young, I had to pretend to like milk so they would drink it, too. That was no fun at all.

wmark

Nov 12, 2008
Canada
Visit site
Macadamia nut milk is the creamiest. I like oat milk as it has more body and sweetness than almond milk. Started drinking it in Colombia as it is very popular and abundant there (has been for at least a decade). I have had unpasteurized milk in Colombia but while it did not make me sick, my stomach was in turmoil for a few hours (unlike Alex).

If you read the label on almond breeze, there are supposedly lots of issues with it. There are better almond options

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
If you read the label on almond breeze, there are supposedly lots of issues with it. There are better almond options

Any idea what the issue was? I don't see anything that scares me... at least more than most processed foods.

Ingredients

ALMONDMILK (FILTERED WATER, ALMONDS), CALCIUM CARBONATE, SEA SALT, POTASSIUM CITRATE, SUNFLOWER LECITHIN, GELLAN GUM, NATURAL FLAVORS, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, VITAMIN D2, D-ALPHA-TOCOPHEROL (NATURAL VITAMIN E).

inck243

Nov 3, 2019
Visit site
I use almond milk too. Or coconut almond blend. I find I need a lot of extra milk for this though because I don't like the harshness of black coffee without some kind of milk. I've tried the creamy cashew blends too but they don't froth as well in my machine. In my auto milk frothier I find the Walmart brand almond milk froths the best!!

Any idea what the issue was? I don't see anything that scares me... at least more than most processed foods.

Ingredientsm

ALMONDMILK (FILTERED WATER, ALMONDS), CALCIUM CARBONATE, SEA SALT, POTASSIUM CITRATE, SUNFLOWER LECITHIN, GELLAN GUM, NATURAL FLAVORS, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, VITAMIN D2, D-ALPHA-TOCOPHEROL (NATURAL VITAMIN E).

I think Almond Breeze or Blue Diamond got in trouble For not having enough almonds in their almond milk. I’m not a huge fan of almond milk as it doesn’t have any flavor and kills the coffee taste in my lattes.

MntnMan62

Nov 15, 2019
New Jersey
Visit site
My current preferred coffee is made in a french press. I drink it in the form of a cafe au lait. I use skim milk and heat it in a manual milk frother. I pour about 1/4 of the cup with some of the warm milk that settled on the bottom of the frother and then pour the coffee leaving some room for milk froth on top. I then pour some of the froth from the pitcher on top. That seems to work nicely for me. I've tried it with whole milk and it doesn't seem to froth as well for some reason. And I really don't need the added cholesterol and fat.

MntnMan62

Nov 15, 2019
New Jersey
Visit site
I only use skim milk when I make my cafe au laits. And when I order lattes at a coffee shop, it's alway a skim latte. I need to keep an eye on my cholesterol for health reasons and I really don't like the taste of whole milk anymore. I won't use it in anything. My son likes almond milk and I've used it in my cafe au laits. It tastes good. But it definitely tastes different. Not bad. Just different. I like how regular milk when heated to the correct temp of betwen 140 and 150 degress F imparts a very mild sweetness to it. Almond milk is sweet before you heat it and is more pronounced. I try to stay away from things that can tend to mask the taste of the coffee I'm drinking. You might ask why I don't drink my coffee black. I just don't.