Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    BIC

Dark roasts are still the best sellers????

it seems like lavazza, kicking horse, Koffee Kult, and Peets are some of the best sellers via Amazon. and 3 of these 4 are dark roasts.
    Personally, I try to stay far away from dark roast, but it just seems like still a lot of people prefers dark roast.
    does anyone have some opinion about this?
    why the dark roast?
    and when do you think that light roast will get popular?

People either prefer or THINK they prefer "dark roast" because that has been what has been shoved down their throats by the commodity coffee roasters (big coffee buyers who definitely do not buy Specialty grade coffee). Dark roasts make all coffee taste basically the same, so no sense in them buying GOOD coffee to roast dark. Light roasts are more popular in Europe.

I'm starting a Cottage Food microroastery and I'm purposely leaving the Roast Level info OFF of the label. I'd like people to taste it with no preconceptions. Like it or don't. If somebody is not impressed and knows enough to say they like it darker, then I can roast it darker for them. The Tonino Roast Color Meter is a GREAT little (drop dead simple) tool for measuring the roast and giving roasters another data point for their coffee logs & profiles. https://my-tonino.com/shop/en/tonino

In my business, it seems to be skewed demographically and geographically.
    In older demographics the more affluent areas seem to like dark roasts. I sell lots of dark beans but more medium coffee by the cup.

In less affluent areas, I sell more medium roast. Go figure

Super Moderator
    In our bagel shops we sell Medium roast, Dark roast, Decaf Medium roast and 2 flavors. Dark and Decaf are our slowest movers. Medium sells the most and flavor is second. If we sell a 100 cases of Medium in a week...we will sell 80 of a flavor and 20 of both Decaf and dark. Our online sales are 80 % flavored coffee and 20 % "regular"
    "Wine is for aging, not coffee."
    Ken Hutchinson, Starsky and Hutch

One of the reasons I started home roasting is because so many roasters in the U.S. started to focus more on the lighter side of things. For me/espresso nothing I've tried on that level was worth consuming. May suit some people's taste, but I'd give up coffee completely if I had to consume something just over the 1st crack range. More like tea as in weak/acidic than actual coffee. I roast all coffees to a full city range as that gives me a perfect blend of coffee/roast notes and a bit of acidity.

Some may think darker roasts are a waste of what could otherwise be good/great coffee, but IMBHO the same can be said for the lighter 3rd wave garbage floating around as they are underdeveloped for the most part.
    I'm a legend among my own kind... you my friend are just a legend in your own mind. Later!

BIC
    Quote Originally Posted by wmark View Post
    In my business, it seems to be skewed demographically and geographically.
    In older demographics the more affluent areas seem to like dark roasts. I sell lots of dark beans but more medium coffee by the cup.

In less affluent areas, I sell more medium roast. Go figure
    perhaps that shows that Tim Horton is better than Dunkin's and Second Cup is better than Starbucks, ha ha ha

Both the roasters here in town roast on the dark side, to me it boarders on a burnt taste and is not consistent from cup to cup which is to bad because I would support them if they offered a medium roast.

You might like second cup......they have turned into a cannabis company. Dark roast ? Medium roast ? .....don't matter, just pass the roach

BIC
    Quote Originally Posted by wmark View Post
    You might like second cup......they have turned into a cannabis company. Dark roast ? Medium roast ? .....don't matter, just pass the roach
    when Bill Clinton was president, I used to travel to Montreal and Toronto, few times a year for business.
    at that time, Second cup was my favorite coffee shop!!!
    it got changed for worse???

Quote Originally Posted by topher View Post
    In our bagel shops we sell Medium roast, Dark roast, Decaf Medium roast and 2 flavors. Dark and Decaf are our slowest movers. Medium sells the most and flavor is second. If we sell a 100 cases of Medium in a week...we will sell 80 of a flavor and 20 of both Decaf and dark. Our online sales are 80 % flavored coffee and 20 % "regular"
    My product mix is about the same... I think there is some polarized purchase behavior on Amazon.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links