It Seems Kind of Quiet In Here

MntnMan62

Nov 15, 2019
New Jersey
Visit site
I was just wondering if it's always this quiet around here? I joined a while ago but haven't really been visiting regularly until the past week or two. But I'm finding there seems to be very little discussion taking place. The stats say there are about 36,000 members but I find not only a lack of discussion but also very superficial discussion. I don't see many in depth discussions about machines, roasting, grinders, types of beans, etc. I ask because another forum that I've also been visiting only has about 25,000 members but the conversation is much more robust with detailed responses, both of a technical nature as well as personal preference. The posts I see here are one or two lines, if that. I'm not trying to be a jerk, although that is probably how I'm coming across. Not intended. Just curious. Thanks.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I was just wondering if it's always this quiet around here? I joined a while ago but haven't really been visiting regularly until the past week or two. But I'm finding there seems to be very little discussion taking place. The stats say there are about 36,000 members but I find not only a lack of discussion but also very superficial discussion. I don't see many in depth discussions about machines, roasting, grinders, types of beans, etc. I ask because another forum that I've also been visiting only has about 25,000 members but the conversation is much more robust with detailed responses, both of a technical nature as well as personal preference. The posts I see here are one or two lines, if that. I'm not trying to be a jerk, although that is probably how I'm coming across. Not intended. Just curious. Thanks.

The Coffee Forum discussions have a way of fluctuating as far as activity goes. You're not being a jerk by asking about the slow flow of interaction here.

It's been very quiet lately, especially on weekends, because people are usually busy doing other things.

The 36,000 members that you see listed are members that have joined over many, many years. Many of our members work in the coffee business, and they only visit the Forum from time to time. Many others only join so they can repeatedly try to sell us stuff, and many of them get banned because of that behavior. When I check the on-line activity, I usually see some members logged in, and a couple hundred guests (non-members) who are just reading the discussions.

I've explored other coffee forums in the past, and I did see that they have a lot more activity. Some of our members are comfortable participating in more than one on-line forum, especially if they have the time to explore.

I hope you'll stay and help generate some of the discussions, but if you decide to move on to another forum, please be sure to check in with us from time to time. We'll be here.

~ Rose

MntnMan62

Nov 15, 2019
New Jersey
Visit site
The Coffee Forum discussions have a way of fluctuating as far as activity goes. You're not being a jerk by asking about the slow flow of interaction here.

It's been very quiet lately, especially on weekends, because people are usually busy doing other things.

The 36,000 members that you see listed are members that have joined over many, many years. Many of our members work in the coffee business, and they only visit the Forum from time to time. Many others only join so they can repeatedly try to sell us stuff, and many of them get banned because of that behavior. When I check the on-line activity, I usually see some members logged in, and a couple hundred guests (non-members) who are just reading the discussions.

I've explored other coffee forums in the past, and I did see that they have a lot more activity. Some of our members are comfortable participating in more than one on-line forum, especially if they have the time to explore.

I hope you'll stay and help generate some of the discussions, but if you decide to move on to another forum, please be sure to check in with us from time to time. We'll be here.

~ Rose

Thanks for your detailed response. I also noticed that many of the posts lately are from people who appear to be vendors. But they are easy to spot. I like to get as much input on my various hobbies as I can so belonging to three coffee forums is nothing. I'm also into the whole shaving thing and am on six forums for that silly hobby. I'll be around and if I find that I can provide something worthwhile I will most certainly provide my two cents.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I was going to respond this morning but had to start production. This time of year I am not able to hit the forums as much as the rest of the year. This season started earlier and has been incredible so far! Well hope you stick around and enjoy all the knowledge that is here for the taking ;)

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
There are some great members here no doubt. One thing that gets old is the SPAM type issues, but the moderators handle it well. Thing I like here is that most are willing to share experience/info without being too judgmental. Some forums are a bit much with the senior member butt kissing. Like if you go against their beliefs, maybe not willing to spend _____ on a 'proper setup' it's wasting their time. Heaven forbid if you ask something before doing a massive search for what may/may not have been addressed before.

Anything you want to discuss have at it. I have started with the basic steam machine and worked my way up over the years, even running a commercial setup. Have been into home roasting a good 3.5 yrs and devised/built my roaster. I source my favorite quality greens (primarily blends) and roast/extract espresso like no tomorrow...

MntnMan62

Nov 15, 2019
New Jersey
Visit site
There are some great members here no doubt. One thing that gets old is the SPAM type issues, but the moderators handle it well. Thing I like here is that most are willing to share experience/info without being too judgmental. Some forums are a bit much with the senior member butt kissing. Like if you go against their beliefs, maybe not willing to spend _____ on a 'proper setup' it's wasting their time. Heaven forbid if you ask something before doing a massive search for

what may/may not have been addressed before.

Anything you want to discuss have at it. I have started with the basic steam machine and worked my way up over the years, even running a commercial setup. Have been into home roasting a good 3.5 yrs and devised/built my roaster. I source my favorite quality greens (primarily blends) and roast/extract espresso like no tomorrow...

I know what you mean about judgemental. Just today I posted on that other forum about blooming with French press and some guy responds telling me I’m wasting his time because this has already been dealt with ad nauseum. But it’s ok. I let him have it. But I much prefer a more laid back atmosphere. All is good.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Unfortunately, I think most .com forums have slowed down considerably for more favorable formats (reddit/FB/etc). I noticed the same thing about another coffee forum I'm on... 3x the members here and only 9 posts per day.

MntnMan62

Nov 15, 2019
New Jersey
Visit site
Unfortunately, I think most .com forums have slowed down considerably for more favorable formats (reddit/FB/etc). I noticed the same thing about another coffee forum I'm on... 3x the members here and only 9 posts per day.

Yes. I think I know the site you are referring to. I just checked it as well. Almost 100,000 members and only 8 posts per day. The other site I was really referring to has about 25,000 members and they are seeing around 140 posts a day. That's some pretty decent activity. I agree some of the members can be a bit snooty like I got from someone today. But I have a thick skin and realize that someone who has to beat down some anonymous individual on a forum that discusses coffee has to have some real anger issues, is insecure and takes themselves way way way too seriously. They scurry away when you point that out to them and you never hear from them again. And if they come back for more, you just spank them again. It's kinda fun. Anyway, I am a glutton for information from anywhere I can get it and this place seems like a good place to enhance my base of coffee knowledge. Good to be here.