Using Egg Shells to "Settle the Grounds" in Coffee

MntnMan62

Nov 15, 2019
New Jersey
Visit site
Happy New Year!!! I'm hoping this is the year I add espresso to my repertoire. And reading that first post about using egg shells to "settle the grounds" has me scratching my head. I've heard that many many many years ago before I knew anything about coffee. So, is this really a thing and does anyone know what's behind it?

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Happy New Year!!! I'm hoping this is the year I add espresso to my repertoire. And reading that first post about using egg shells to "settle the grounds" has me scratching my head. I've heard that many many many years ago before I knew anything about coffee. So, is this really a thing and does anyone know what's behind it?

Hello MntMan62,

I moved your post to start a new topic. ( thread) I hope you don't mind.

Here is an article about using eggshells to "settle the grounds"

https://coffeedorks.com/eggshells-in-coffee/

~ Rose

MntnMan62

Nov 15, 2019
New Jersey
Visit site
Hello MntMan62,

I moved your post to start a new topic. ( thread) I hope you don't mind.

Here is an article about using eggshells to "settle the grounds"

https://coffeedorks.com/eggshells-in-coffee/

~ Rose

Why would I mind? Thanks for the article. It seems this idea made sense when high quality coffee and coffee brewing technique was in short supply. But today where we can bring barista knowledge and expertise into the home, there really is no need for this "technique". In fact, I contend that we don't even need it when going camping. What I do is grind enough beans into individual servings and I bring a rugged plastic insulated french press on camping trips. I can time the extraction and can have almost as good coffee at the campsite as at home. The only difference being the freshness of the ground coffee. Over a 3 or 4 day camping trip, it is inconsequential. Thanks Rose. The article is definitely interesting. You learn something new every day.