Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cawenil View Post
    It is desirable to store small coffee bags in the refrigerator in an airtight container: an iron or glass jar.
    I respectfully disagree... the challenge with storing in the refrigerator is condensation. It will form on the beans and cause it to spoil faster. Better to simply keep in your airtight container at ambient temps.

Quote Originally Posted by Musicphan View Post
    The biggest question is - how fresh is your coffee? If you get it the day off roast and throw it in the Mason jar I would say yes, release the gas after a few days. Otherwise, you have minimal risk of anything bad happening with the gas buildup. The purpose of the one way valve is to allow the off-gas does not blow apart the packaging. Always try and buy just want you are going to consume in two weeks.
    Thanks for this advice!

I did, and I bought some from 2 different sellers in Denmark. It tasted like motor oil!

This is all great information I appreciate you sharing what you know.

Lightbulb

WHAT ACTIONS SHOULD BE TAKEN IMMEDIATELY AFTER PURCHASING COFFEE BEANS

If the coffee was purchased in its original packaging, to remove the product, it is necessary to cut off one corner of the packet, avoiding the appearance of a wide hole. After the required amount of product has been poured, all air should be released from the package and wrapped tightly.

However, it is best, of course, to immediately pour the grains into the container.

Thank you for your helpful recommendations

I don't remove my coffee from the container they came in. I find it the best way to presserve their taste. But I see some tips here are quite to my liking to try it.

However, I strongly believe keeping them in their own bag, wrapped very tightly works best. Whilst I like airtight containers, most of them tend to be fixed shape, which results in contact to air, unless they are the perfect size.

The best thing is to buy a supply of airtight, resealable bags, with one-way valves. And pack them with as little air as possible in, as the coffee continues 'breathing' it'll replace the oxygen with CO2, creating a protective layer.

Someone on these Coffee forums once posted, or linked to, a scholarly paper on scientific research into storing roasted coffee beans for the commercial environment. Their conclusion, if I remember correctly, was that a combination of vacuum packing and freezing, at below zero degrees Fahrenheit, was effective for some specific finite period of time.

Well, it makes sense to buy a nice and shiny metal container if you are planning to store those beans for a longer time, but if you consume for a week or two the original resealable bag you got from your roastery will do the job. In the meanwhile I started to use second resealable bag. I buy 0.5kg, then split pour about a half into another bag. The beans from this bag will be consumed first, maximum within a week. When pulling espresso I started to notice need in grind size adjustments from even within those 2 weeks I keep the beans, so splitting them right after buying into two parts solves the problem for me, less exposure to the super aggressive environment we humans live in ;-D

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links