Help Please: Questions About Naturals - Disappearing Fruit Notes

So I've experienced this with every bag of natural process (dry, honey, etc) coffee I've ever purchased. The first cup I brew after opening the bag has all of the fruit/wine/fermenty-ness that you'd expect, but after about day 3 of the bag being open it completely disappears - in the nose, tasting notes, everything. These are super fresh beans from different specialty roasters, with big bloom and opened within a couple days of roast date.

Is this common with naturals? Are those notes particularly sensitive to oxidation, as to completely disappear within a couple days? I seal up the bag tightly and it doesn't seem like cafes go through any great length to vacuum seal their beans between use. My brewing technique is fairly standardized between cups, but any brew suggestions that might help pull these notes out are appreciated. I typically use a V60 or Kalita with a 3-3:30 min brew time.

Definitely an age old problem. I just made a cup from a bag of fresh beans I bought this morning. The bloom was so violent, it almost spilled over the sides of my Fellow Stag X. But in a few days, I guarantee that the grind will just sit there after I add water. And I keep my beans in a nearly air-tight AirScape. Maddening.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by truthinthedetail View Post
    Definitely an age old problem. I just made a cup from a bag of fresh beans I bought this morning. The bloom was so violent, it almost spilled over the sides of my Fellow Stag X. But in a few days, I guarantee that the grind will just sit there after I add water. And I keep my beans in a nearly air-tight AirScape. Maddening.
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Well ... that's not really the same 'issue'. The crazy bloom is due to the fact that beans are releasing CO2 as a result of being roasted. This is a natural occurrence and will dissipate after a few days. The loss of fruity notes is simply the beans - or at least I have not seen anything I can do as a roaster to adjust the length / longevity of fruity notes.

Thanks for weighing in. It would be kind of a relief to know that this is common with naturals so I can stop wondering how to fix it. I know that freshness is rapidly lost, but it seems odd that notes which are (almost) obnoxiously fruity/fermenty on day 1 are virtually non-existent on day 3.

Help Please: Questions About Naturals - Disappearing Fruit Notes

Quote Originally Posted by Musicphan View Post
    Well ... that's not really the same 'issue'. The crazy bloom is due to the fact that beans are releasing CO2 as a result of being roasted. This is a natural occurrence and will dissipate after a few days. The loss of fruity notes is simply the beans - or at least I have not seen anything I can do as a roaster to adjust the length / longevity of fruity notes.
    My point was that after a few days, everything about the beans begins to deteriorate. Taste, freshness, co2, etc.

Thanks again.

I keep my beans in AirScape containers. I have not noticed a big loss in fruit/floral/tea notes over the 8+ days it takes me to finish a bag. (Immersion brew)

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links