How to Make French Press

Iím a home barista who has made espresso based drinks and pour over. I have never made french press coffee and would like to learn how to. If you can simplify the explanation of how to do, that would be great. I donít understand the ratio thing yet.

Super Moderator
    Hello CoffeeMusic,

Weekends are traditionally slow on the Coffee Forums website. While you're waiting for a reply, if you do a Google search, you will see that there is a lot of information online (videos too) that instruct you on how to use a French Press. I'm sure there have been many discussions here on the Coffee Forums too, but I don't have time to take a look right now. We have a handy search feature that is at the top of the page (on the right) that you can use to find any information that's already been shared here the Coffee Forums website.

~ Rose

I'll chime in on this one since my primary brew method is french press. First I'll suggest that you check out this video. I was brewing some bitter coffee for quite a while until I watched it and simply folliowing the suggestions in the video resulted in a dramatic improvement in the coffee poured into my cup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st571DYYTR8

As for your concerns about ratios, he touches on that subject. In summary, you want to use fresh beans ground to a medium course grind. Also, I think the quality of your french press will impact things. I've used some where the screen on the press is not fine enough and allows too much sediment to pass through. I've got an older Bodum Bistro 8 cup french press and it has a good quality screen on it. You want to time your brewing. He says once your pour the water into the coffee let it brew for 4 minutes. Then after 4 minutes, stir the crust and scoop off any floating bits and the foam, which has a bitter taste. I've learned that the foam you see in french press coffee is not "crema" like with espresso. So, after scooping that off, then set the timer and let it sit for another 5 to 7 minutes. I try and do the 7 minutes unless I'm rushed. Then, contrary to what you've probably been told, don't plunge the press down to the bottom of the carafe. Leave it and simply use the screen as a filter, slowly pouring the coffee into a cup. Plunging can tend to stir things up and produce bitterness. I'm convinced this is correct. Therefore, I don't press the plunger down. I love making my coffee this way. And I like milk and milk foam. I bought an inexpensive manual milk frother, heat it up to between 140 and 150 degrees F on the stove, and then whip it for about 10 seconds while I'm waiting for the 7 minutes to pass. Then I can enjoy a wonderful mug of cafe au lait. Hope this helps. Good luck.
    Absurdity is the only reality - FZ

Super Moderator
    Hi MntnMan62

Thanks for "chiming in" with this one. I had a feeling someone with French Press experience would be able to help.

Thanks again.

~ Rose

Hello. Very interesting post.

Now I know how to do it at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Callson View Post
    Now I know how to do it at home.
    Why do you feel the need to post a single sentence at a time, often resulting in 2 or 3 separate posts?
    Absurdity is the only reality - FZ

• Measure the coffee beans. Measure out the 1/2 cup coffee beans. ...
    • Grind the coffee beans. Grind the beans on the coarsest setting in a burr grinder. ...
    • Heat the water to boiling, then cool for 1 minute. ...
    • Add the water to the French press. ...
    • Stir the brew. ...
    • Steep for 4 minutes. ...
    • Plunge the press.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links