Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What makes a coffee specialty coffee?

What makes a coffee specialty coffee? Is it small batches, fair trade, organic coffee, what is it and can someone please explain this to me a little bit more! Thank you.

A day without coffee is like... just kidding. I have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by 709espresso View Post
    Thank u and that was a very interesting article

I think it simply means that all along the chain from seed to delivery, everyone has taken deliberate steps to make the highest quality coffee they can while at the same time keeping both Mother Nature as well as the farmers in the equation of sustainability. Basically there should be only winners, including the final consumer who gets to experience a superior coffee.

I consider the coffee I make for myself and my family specialty coffee. I typically use a french press but will also use a Moka Pot on occassion. This morning I made my wife a coffee using the french press. The beans were decaf La Colombe Nizza. I mixed it with heated and frothed milk and topped it with home made mocha sauce and some cinnamon. She said it was really good but asked that next time I add some of the mocha sauce to the coffee when pouring rather than just drizzling it on top of the milk foam so she gets more of the mocha sauce flavor. Still experimenting.
    Last edited by MntnMan62; 04-18-2020 at 01:18 PM.
    Absurdity is the only reality - FZ

Specialty is technically a grading system for green coffee. Green coffee has to have zero Cat 1 defects and less than 5 Cat 2 defects. I think the general consensus in the industry includes a lot of the comments above but specialty is a grading system.

https://sca.coffee/research/coffee-standards

Quote Originally Posted by Musicphan View Post
    Specialty is technically a grading system for green coffee. Green coffee has to have zero Cat 1 defects and less than 5 Cat 2 defects. I think the general consensus in the industry includes a lot of the comments above but specialty is a grading system.

Just goes to show you how little I know about coffee, beans or anything else for that matter.
    Absurdity is the only reality - FZ

Quote Originally Posted by MntnMan62 View Post
    Just goes to show you how little I know about coffee, beans or anything else for that matter.
    Baby steps... LOL. I thought I knew a lot going into this as a profession, boy was that eye-opening. It's a continual learning / marathon ... not a sprint.

Quote Originally Posted by Musicphan View Post

It is not easy for those of us who are passionate about specialty coffee to divorce ourselves from the sociological implications of the coffee industry. There are a lot of issues with the way in which coffee comes to market that are not relevant to the fact that the term "specialty coffee" is a distinction that applies to coffee that merits a distinction from C grade, or commercial grade, coffee. As Musicphan points out, this distinction arises from a grading system for coffee that exists for the same reasons as the grading systems in other commodities like lumber, or oil, or wheat, or pork bellies; namely, to be able to fairly trade the commodity in highly volatile markets. But all of that sounds so sterile and somewhat callous. So thankfully, this is a market that is given more significance because of the sociological implications, and it is a great place for people who wish to make a difference in the world...just not as a day trader...lol!

Quote Originally Posted by wstsider View Post
    What makes a coffee specialty coffee? Is it small batches, fair trade, organic coffee, what is it and can someone please explain this to me a little bit more! Thank you.
    I would say coffee that is processed using the " Wet Method"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links