Is anyone stocking up on coffee beans?

MntnMan62

Nov 15, 2019
New Jersey
Visit site
With the coronavirus running rampant all we hear about is people stocking up on toilet paper, paper towels, hand sanitizer, water, meat and pasta. But I have yet to read about anyone stocking up on coffee. I have about 75% of my normal monthly allottment of my Sumatra Takengon beans but am worried that we could end up being confined to our residences for some extended period of time. And knowing my wife and son both like decaf, which is also running at about 50% of the amount purchased, I decided to make a run and buy some beans. So I bought another pound of my Bluestone Coffee Sumatra Takengon and a pound of their Columbian Decaf. I put them both in zip lock bags and stashed them in the freezer. Now I am feeling more relaxed that I won't run out of at least one item that makes being holed up in seclusion bearable. Anyone else stocking up on beans during these trying times?

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
No worries here as I home roast and have around 21 lbs. onhand, so enough to get by about 2.5 months. Great thing is my go-to supplier has plenty of greens and said online ordering/shipping will proceed as normal, so once I get down to maybe 5-6 lbs. I will order another 20 lb. shipment.

On various forums I've read of many online commercial roasters offering discounts, better and even free shipping rates, etc. to encourage people to continue life the best they can.

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
The coffee supply will have slight constraints but for the average home roaster, this will have little effect. The supply chain has remained fairly open / certainly some ports have had temporarily shut down but the coffee is still moving. It's a key food supply and from calls, I've been on with FDA/Health Dept every effort to keep food flowing is happening.

And if you have a local roaster - give them a ring. I'm sure they would sell you green coffee and every penny helps right now.

Bmck63

Mar 27, 2020
Visit site
Yes i order mine from lifeboost i get the dark roast beans and they are roasted on order they do have ground coffee too
it supposed to be the healthiest coffee , Dark Roast is for me because it is easier on the stomach and teeth,
check out their site if you want, or here> https://lifeboostcoffee.com/?ref=372
Yes I will get a commission if you order but you can order direct it is still same price.

Last edited:

MntnMan62

Nov 15, 2019
New Jersey
Visit site
@ Bmck63 Hmmmm. Your claims about the Lifeboost made me check into it. They say on their site it's the healthiest touting that it is fair trade, organically grown and no chemicals, etc. There are lots of coffees that are produced in the exact same way, so that was my first inclination that the claims are a bit dubious. Then I did a search for reviews of the coffee. It is sold on Amazon and a full 26% of the reviews gave it a 1 star rating. I take ratings in general with a grain of salt but that's a high negative review count. And you claim that it's easier on the stomach and teeth. Is it the stated lack of mycotoxins that makes it easier on the stomach and teeth? Because I saw no mention on the site about the claim about being easier on stomach and teeth. And there are plenty of coffees that are free of molds that create mycotoxins. So, help us understand why this coffee is so much better than other high quality coffees.

Bmck63

Mar 27, 2020
Visit site
Well I do agree on taking reviews lightly, as they can be altered by other companies fairly easily. Having said that Amazon did give it a 3-star and the 5-star comments were very good. I have stayed in 3-star hotels that were better than some 5-star. What makes anything better than anything else is a preference, what makes Honda better than Toyota? Or vice versa? Now I am sure you know that Mycotoxins are mold and, it is acid that affects the stomach and teeth. It is the Dark roast that makes it lower in acid, so I have no idea why you asked that question. Taste is subjective as we all know. What makes Sumatra Takengon the best? Or are you just promoting your local roaster? I don't think I said that it is any better than any other high-quality coffee, it is just an option and, we all like options I'm sure. I see you posted on here asking where is everyone? Maybe they are scared to post anything, afraid someone like you will be around to poke holes into anything they post!

Last edited:

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Well I do agree on taking reviews lightly, as they can be altered by other companies fairly easily. Having said that Amazon did give it a 3-star and the 5-star comments were very good. What makes anything better than anything else is preference, what make Honda better than Toyota? Or vice versa? Now I am sure you know that Mycotoxins are mold and, it is acid that affects the stomach and teeth. It is the Dark roast that makes it lower in acid, so I have no idea why you asked that question. Taste is subjective as we all know. What makes Sumatra Takengon the best? Or are you just promoting your local roaster? I don't think I said that it is any better than any other high quality coffee, it is just an option and, we all like options I'm sure. I see you posted on here asking where is everyone? Maybe they are scared to post anything, afraid someone like you will be around to poke holes into anything they post!

I won't speak on his behalf but I think he is expressing reasonable hesitation to take their health claims at face value. When you are asking for $35 for a 12oz bag with fairly loose health claims I think the manf should be prepared for this type of reaction. It mentions two main 'health benefits' - lower acids and no mycotoxins. In reality, mycotoxins are in almost all agriculture products, the FDA regulates this fairly tightly and most importers of coffee are responsible for testing. When you review their section called "What we do to avoid mycotoxins in our coffee" - they claim their processes are special. However, its standard operating procedures for any specialty coffee roaster. And ironically, they mention that they use only coffees grow at above 5700'. That smacks as irony because high grown coffees are generally more acidic than low grown coffee. I also somewhat dismiss their claim of being low acid... considering this is high grown coffee (a good thing) that will improve the quality but also increase the acidity. Roasting will burn off some of the malic acids but in reality, the actual acidity level is not reduced much. Your taste buds will perceive there to be less coffee the darker the roast, but science shows that acidity has been reduced very little. A typically coffee is about 5 PH, soda/orange juice 3 PH.. its an issue for some people for sure, but most coffee is about the same levels regardless of roast level.

You certainly will choose to spend your money however you wish, and I am not making any judgment. However, when you look at science, their claims are pretty week and you are paying 2-2.5x the price for comparable products.

Bmck63

Mar 27, 2020
Visit site
Look, there are all kinds of supplements and food products that make claims, some may be true some not true. But do we take them at face value? They sell for $35.00 but offer discounts,40% on your first order and, a 30-day moneyback guarantee, Plus it is single origin. I think that is pretty good. Look at Kona Coffee it is a lot more than $35.00 is it worth it? Like anything depends on who you ask. The low acid I was referring to was directed towards dark roast, which produces a chemical called N-Methylpyridinium which causes the stomach itself to produce less acid. Since yes the PH of a medium and dark roast is the same. There is a multitude of health claims all over the internet which came from many studies. Are they true?
Who knows?

Last edited:

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]Look, there are all kinds of supplements and food products that make claims, some may be true some not true. But do we take them at face value? They sell for $35.00 but offer discounts, look at Kona Coffee it is lot more than $35.00 is it worth it? Like anything depends on who you ask. The low acid I was referring to was directed towards dark roast, which produces a chemical called N-Methylpyridinium which causes the stomach itself to produce less acid. Since yes the PH of medium and dark roast is the same. There is a multitude of health claims all over the internet which came from many studies. Are they true?
Who knows?[/FONT]

As I said you are free to spend your money however you would like... I'm not making a judgment about you. However, I am calling these claims out as BS - there make a lot of claims there which are simply not a benefit to the end-user or industry norms. They are charging an exorbitant amount IMO on disinformation and half-truths. The comparison to Kona is not the same... the primary reason Kona is expensive is due to US Labor Laws and minimum wages. US producers have to pay fair wages / 3rd world countries, unfortunately, produce off the backs of hard-working people for pennies per lb.

MntnMan62

Nov 15, 2019
New Jersey
Visit site
Well I do agree on taking reviews lightly, as they can be altered by other companies fairly easily. Having said that Amazon did give it a 3-star and the 5-star comments were very good. What makes anything better than anything else is preference, what make Honda better than Toyota? Or vice versa? Now I am sure you know that Mycotoxins are mold and, it is acid that affects the stomach and teeth. It is the Dark roast that makes it lower in acid, so I have no idea why you asked that question. Taste is subjective as we all know. What makes Sumatra Takengon the best? Or are you just promoting your local roaster? I don't think I said that it is any better than any other high quality coffee, it is just an option and, we all like options I'm sure. I see you posted on here asking where is everyone? Maybe they are scared to post anything, afraid someone like you will be around to poke holes into anything they post!

As for reviews, I really dont' care what overall review or rating Amazon or any other online seller gives to any product. I read individual reviews and either discout the ones I think are bogus or from people who just like to gripe about everything and look for those that actually have something legitimate to say. Obviously personal preference is what differentiates things for each of us. But I don't see how comparing coffee beans to automobiles is relevant. Yes, I know that mycotoxins are mold. As for mentioning the effect on the stomach and teeth, I'm just responding to what the roaster of these beans is claiming on his website. So, what I gather from your response is that any dark roast I get would be lower in acid and be easier on my stomach and teeth. No real benefit to Lifeboost on that count then. Why did I mention the Sumatra? Because that's what I happen to be drinking lately and enjoy it. But I'm hardly pushing it on anyone since I didn't mention the name of the roaster who I buy from. I have absolutely zero desire to market anything here and unlike you, I don't get a commission from anyone for doing so. You may not have said it's any better than any other high quality coffee but Lifeboost certainly does seem to be saying that on their website. And you criticizing me for merely questioning the benefit of Lifeboost Coffee is kind of like the pot calling the kettle black, don't you think? After all, if you come on here pushing a product, that you would get paid for if someone here buys it, you should have enough of a backbone to be able to deal with some pretty inoccuous questions from people. But your overly defensive response to my honest and legitimate questions shows me your true colors. Thanks for your response. I don't have to poke holes in your post. You did that for me. Thanks again.