Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MntnMan62 View Post
    I had not used my Moka Pot in quite a while. I've been quite happy with the coffee I have been getting from my french press. But this morning I decided I'd give it a go again. In the past I had always used the Italian style espresso coffee in a can. Either Lavazza or Medaglio d'Oro. And it always gave me a bitter cup. This time I adjusted my grinder to a much finer grind and used the beens from my local roaster that I normally use for french press. Bluestone Coffee Sumatra Takengon. A dark/medium dark roast. I have to say it was an extremely enjoyable couple mugs of coffee. I used my manual milk frother to heat up and froth some skim milk to make a cafe au lait. No bitterness. It was actually sweet, but nice and strong and had nice mouth feel. I could get used to that. I'm going to use it again tomorrow morning.
    Since your Moka Pot was sitting around unused for quite some time, did you recondition the pot first - by making some coffee and dumping it out, or did you just drink the coffee that you made? I read (somewhere) that you're supposed to recondition the pot after it's been sitting unused for a long time. My Moka Pot has been sitting on a shelf for a couple of years. I could never get the coffee to come out right. I always think about trying it again, but then I change my mind.

I'm glad it worked out for you. It's like a new discovery!

~ Rose

Quote Originally Posted by PinkRose View Post
    Since your Moka Pot was sitting around unused for quite some time, did you recondition the pot first - by making some coffee and dumping it out, or did you just drink the coffee that you made? I read (somewhere) that you're supposed to recondition the pot after it's been sitting unused for a long time. My Moka Pot has been sitting on a shelf for a couple of years. I could never get the coffee to come out right. I always think about trying it again, but then I change my mind.

I'm glad it worked out for you. It's like a new discovery!

~ Rose
    No. I had not heard it needs to be "reconditioned". I just rinsed it out with some water. I'd say I had not used it in a number of months. Probably at least 6 months. I suppose yesterday's coffee was reconditioning and today's should be better.
    Absurdity is the only reality - FZ

This morning's brew was as good as yesterday's. I'm really liking this Moka Pot thing. To be honest I had written it off. Turns out it was just the coffee I was using. That italian roast pre ground sutff in a can just doesn't work. From now whether it's the french press or Moka Pot, I'm sticking with my favorite beans from my local roaster. I always knew fresh quality beans could have an impact but never figured it would be the difference between yuck and delicious. I'm sold and lovin' it.

Third morning in a row using the Moka Pot. I am enjoying the stronger coffee it makes over the french press. At this point my desire to dip into the espresso arena is a bit muted. Not eliminated. Just muted. I think I'll take some time with the Moka Pot and go back and forth between it and the french press for a while.

The Moka pot is a great little device, and though it produces a different type of espresso than a 9 bar machine, it
    is still espresso, if you tune it right, you will get crema. There should be a wide spectrum for espressos

Quote Originally Posted by ManuelPalmaCoffee View Post
    The Moka pot is a great little device, and though it produces a different type of espresso than a 9 bar machine, it
    is still espresso, if you tune it right, you will get crema. There should be a wide spectrum for espressos
    How do you "tune" a Moka Pot? I heat up the filtered water before filling the bottom chamber. I grind my beans fresh for each pot. I get them from a local roaster who has roasted them about 3 to 4 days before I buy them. The grind is pretty fine and consistent. I don't pack the coffee, just fill it without pack it down. I heat the water slowly so that when it starts to flow into the upper chamber it is slow. I then reduce the heat a bit so it doesn't sputter. When it's almost done I just turn off the heat. What else can I be doing to make the coffee better or with more crema?
    Last edited by MntnMan62; 10-15-2020 at 08:58 AM.

Yes. I agree to the question raised why do Italians call them as there invention when it was already in the existance. This is hilarious, just take up a followed notion in the market, make minor changes and do the rebranding under your campaign. And look what a major success they have currently, "Espresso"is famous all over the world know since past a long time.

But what I would like to say is that at last you got your same favourite taste of coffee that you wanted. Happy Coffee..!

Quote Originally Posted by MntnMan62 View Post
    How do you "tune" a Moka Pot? I heat up the filtered water before filling the bottom chamber. I grind my beans fresh for each pot. I get them from a local roaster who has roasted them about 3 to 4 days before I buy them. The grind is pretty fine and consistent. I don't pack the coffee, just fill it without pack it down. I heat the water slowly so that when it starts to flow into the upper chamber it is slow. I then reduce the heat a bit so it doesn't sputter. When it's almost done I just turn off the heat. What else can I be doing to make the coffee better or with more crema?
    Hey MntnMan62,

small variations in the grind and in the amount of coffee.
    Some of the same principles that pressurized espresso
    machines abide by, as well as the age of the beans.

Many say roasted coffee peaks at about 2.5 weeks but everyone
    has their own opinion about coffee age.

And yes, most of the crema rises in the beginning so just taking it off the heat once
    it starts sputtering is good practice.
    We are accumulated experiences, the result of the aggregated situations
    we are put in, and the decisions that originate therein.

DM me for a coupon!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links