Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    854

    Coffee is not in the top 10 of the world's most traded commodities

    Just wanted your thoughts on this article:

    https://www.perfectdailygrind.com/20...ity-important/

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    462
    All one needs is google:
    1. Oil
    2 Steel
    3 Soybeans
    4 Iron
    5 Corn
    6 Gold
    7 Copper

    Like alot of agricultural products, prices have remained low through history. Unlike many agricultural products, coffee production cannot be mechanized (except for Brazil) thereby driving down the price of production

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    854
    Google saves a ton of time right? It is, however, interesting to note that a lot of information that is available online, and easily accessible with a simple Google search, is still clouded by "tribal knowledge".

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Posts
    6
    Couldn't agree more. Google is good, sure, but unless the information is coming from a solid source you should always take it with a pinch of salt.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    6
    Sociologists claim that in the twenty-first century, coffee became the most popular drink in the world and is very popular in almost all countries.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Central North Carolina
    Posts
    1,538
    Honestly makes NO difference to me as to how things are ranked as I don't focus on numbers. As long as I can source quality greens year round to roast to my standards AND those doing the back breaking work to bring the coffee to market are fairly treated life is good.
    I'm a legend among my own kind... you my friend are just a legend in your own mind. Later!

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    854
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow745 View Post
    Honestly makes NO difference to me as to how things are ranked as I don't focus on numbers. As long as I can source quality greens year round to roast to my standards AND those doing the back breaking work to bring the coffee to market are fairly treated life is good.
    That seems reasonalbe Shadow. But what do you mean by "those doing the back breaking work to bring the coffee to market are fairly treated"? The reality of life in third world countries does not often live up to expectations. Paying more for "Fair Trade" coffees doesn't always ensure that that premium paid makes its way into the hands of those harvesting the crop.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Central North Carolina
    Posts
    1,538
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Peaberry View Post
    That seems reasonalbe Shadow. But what do you mean by "those doing the back breaking work to bring the coffee to market are fairly treated"? The reality of life in third world countries does not often live up to expectations. Paying more for "Fair Trade" coffees doesn't always ensure that that premium paid makes its way into the hands of those harvesting the crop.
    Well I don't buy into the 'fair trade/organic' marketing B.S. as how are we to know what standards are practiced? When I buy greens I will only buy from reputable companies that are known to be seriously involved with farmers and push to be sure they are paid/treated fairly.
    I'm a legend among my own kind... you my friend are just a legend in your own mind. Later!

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    854
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow745 View Post
    Well I don't buy into the 'fair trade/organic' marketing B.S. as how are we to know what standards are practiced? When I buy greens I will only buy from reputable companies that are known to be seriously involved with farmers and push to be sure they are paid/treated fairly.
    Glad to hear that Shadow! It's refreshing to hear that someone actually fact checks in the age of Facebook memes! I think that's happening more and more, but a lot times you can't buy direct from the growers. When you buy from coops are you able to know that the price paid by them provides a fair compensation? All I know about the current supply chain as there are many importers here in the US, and tightly controlled export market in producing countries. But the opportunity to buy direct from a grower is a bit of a mystery to me.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    8
    Who cares if it's in the "top 10" or not? It's not a contest! Unless there is a persistent downward trend in supply/demand then there's nothing to worry about.

 

 

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Do you know the best Coffee of the world?
    By didy in forum Introductions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-09-2013, 10:27 PM
  2. Coffee Around The World....
    By grndslm in forum Coffee Table
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-15-2013, 09:08 AM
  3. Hello, Coffee World!!!
    By wbradley in forum Introductions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-09-2013, 02:50 AM
  4. Is Fairtrade Coffee Really Fairly Traded Coffee?
    By expat in forum Coffee Industry Forum
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 12-08-2012, 01:35 PM
  5. New to the coffee world
    By Capulus in forum Coffee Industry Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-25-2007, 04:35 PM