All one needs is google:
1. Oil
2 Steel
3 Soybeans
4 Iron
5 Corn
6 Gold
7 Copper

Like alot of agricultural products, prices have remained low through history. Unlike many agricultural products, coffee production cannot be mechanized (except for Brazil) thereby driving down the price of production

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Google saves a ton of time right? It is, however, interesting to note that a lot of information that is available online, and easily accessible with a simple Google search, is still clouded by "tribal knowledge".

TheCoffee

Apr 20, 2020
Visit site
Couldn't agree more. Google is good, sure, but unless the information is coming from a solid source you should always take it with a pinch of salt.

Artur77

May 2, 2020
Visit site
Sociologists claim that in the twenty-first century, coffee became the most popular drink in the world and is very popular in almost all countries.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Honestly makes NO difference to me as to how things are ranked as I don't focus on numbers. As long as I can source quality greens year round to roast to my standards AND those doing the back breaking work to bring the coffee to market are fairly treated life is good.

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Honestly makes NO difference to me as to how things are ranked as I don't focus on numbers. As long as I can source quality greens year round to roast to my standards AND those doing the back breaking work to bring the coffee to market are fairly treated life is good.

That seems reasonalbe Shadow. But what do you mean by "those doing the back breaking work to bring the coffee to market are fairly treated"? The reality of life in third world countries does not often live up to expectations. Paying more for "Fair Trade" coffees doesn't always ensure that that premium paid makes its way into the hands of those harvesting the crop.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
That seems reasonalbe Shadow. But what do you mean by "those doing the back breaking work to bring the coffee to market are fairly treated"? The reality of life in third world countries does not often live up to expectations. Paying more for "Fair Trade" coffees doesn't always ensure that that premium paid makes its way into the hands of those harvesting the crop.

Well I don't buy into the 'fair trade/organic' marketing B.S. as how are we to know what standards are practiced? When I buy greens I will only buy from reputable companies that are known to be seriously involved with farmers and push to be sure they are paid/treated fairly.

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Well I don't buy into the 'fair trade/organic' marketing B.S. as how are we to know what standards are practiced? When I buy greens I will only buy from reputable companies that are known to be seriously involved with farmers and push to be sure they are paid/treated fairly.

Glad to hear that Shadow! It's refreshing to hear that someone actually fact checks in the age of Facebook memes! I think that's happening more and more, but a lot times you can't buy direct from the growers. When you buy from coops are you able to know that the price paid by them provides a fair compensation? All I know about the current supply chain as there are many importers here in the US, and tightly controlled export market in producing countries. But the opportunity to buy direct from a grower is a bit of a mystery to me.

Cafnut

May 25, 2020
Visit site
Who cares if it's in the "top 10" or not? It's not a contest! Unless there is a persistent downward trend in supply/demand then there's nothing to worry about.