Coffee beans

MntnMan62

Nov 15, 2019
New Jersey
Visit site
You really want to allow the beans to degas for at least 24 to 48 hours. So if you are storing them in an airtight container, you need to open it a crack every so often to let the CO2 out. Then you should be good to go.

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Lord no! Not a week! MntnMan got it right, but that is just for storing. You don't have to let them degas if you intend to use them right away. Some people think that they taste better after they sit for a couple days, but I can assure you that by waiting a week you will have missed some of the best tastes and aromas of the coffee.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Thing is it really depends on two primary factors based on what I've bought roasted for years and what I've been home roasting for 4 years. Roast level as lighter coffees seem to need longer to mellow out to hit their peak as well as extraction method being used. Coffees specifically for espresso typically need around 6-7 days to start to peak. Too soon/fresh and you will notice the explosive nature of the degassing (massive/quick dissipating crema) as well as unbalanced flavors. Those things do settle in time. For what I consider less demanding methods such as pourover, press, drip using coffee sooner rather than later seems to be fine as there's no real pressure involved. Since I started home roasting any time I do a new-to-me coffee I will try it at day 2 post roast, then day 3, etc. and find all coffees I select (green) and roast to my preferred standards hit their peak around day 7-8 and that's how I roast/rotate my stash as each jar is used around day 7-8 and never sits longer than 8-9 days post roast. I can open a jar each day and see/smell the changes taking place. There is no right/wrong as experimentation to find what works for YOU is key.

Last edited:
Thing is it really depends on two primary factors based on what I've bought roasted for years and what I've been home roasting for 4 years. Roast level as lighter coffees seem to need longer to mellow out to hit their peak as well as extraction method being used. Coffees specifically for espresso typically need around 6-7 days to start to peak. Too soon/fresh and you will notice the explosive nature of the degassing (massive/quick dissipating crema) as well as unbalanced flavors. Those things do settle in time. For what I consider less demanding methods such as pourover, press, drip using coffee sooner rather than later seems to be fine as there's no real pressure involved. Since I started home roasting any time I do a new-to-me coffee I will try it at day 2 post roast, then day 3, etc. and find all coffees I select (green) and roast to my preferred standards hit their peak around day 7-8 and that's how I roast/rotate my stash as each jar is used around day 7-8 and never sits longer than 8-9 days post roast. I can open a jar each day and see/smell the changes taking place. There is no right/wrong as experimentation to find what works for YOU is key.
Crap, I just opened the espresso roast now. It was roasted on the 6th and when Mr.Peachberry said it was ok, I when ahead. I just made some and it should had a few more days to degas. Oh well, not much I can do now.