Information Please: Citric acid for descaling

ovfitbob

Jan 11, 2021
Tucson
Visit site
I've read that plain old citirc acid can be used for descaling my coffemaker. But i think there are a few different grades of citric acid. Which one should i use? Looks a lot cheaper buying in bulk than spending $20 for "speciality" descaler powders.

Thanks.

Sourabh3108

Feb 3, 2021
Visit site
These comes in many different forms and grades, including Citric acid powder USP, Monohydrate Crystalline powder USP, Anhydrous Granular, Anhydrous Reagent and a few other. I've used monohydrate crystalline powder USP to clean my Dual Coffee Maker and it worked like a wonder! but you can try any of the above mentioned stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Plain citric acid will probably not do much for you... I rebuilt an espresso machine and it took DAYS for it to eat up the scale. Urnex makes great products... check that route out.

BenA

Feb 9, 2021
Germany
Visit site
Looks like Urnex is available in Germany as well, maybe I'll give it a try. I have Barista Express and as always, all the "officially" recommended cleaners, filters are expensive. I am using Drugol as descaler and now got some tabs from Melitta too. How would you test and compare those cleaning agents? Taste, disassembly or maybe some measuring instruments?