I hate bitter coffee !!! HELP

jjjkkk

Jul 17, 2005
Maryland
Visit site
I just found this site while searching for coffee links and hope someone can help me. As I have said in sub line I hate bitter coffee or for that matter anything bitter. My wife gets on me about my beer drinking since she likes stout and bitter beer. I havve trouble finding beer I like so I started making my own.

Now my problem is as followes, Due tio health I can no longer drink the pots of coffee I used to. I am a retired fireman and drank lots to keep awake during my 24 hr shift. I really didn't enjoy the coffee. I am limited to a cup am and one pm.

I recently stayed at a Hayatt Regency Hotel and had a great cup of coffee there. Also I went to a local resturant and enjoyed a cup there. Rich a lot of flavor not a bit bitter. I asked the watress what brand of coffee it was and she told me "Citavo" brand from Sysco Food service/ I can't buy through them unfortunately ..

I use a french press and recently bought Malawi coffee from a dist. Still too bitter. I would appricate any help from you all. I don't want to keep going to dist since they will keep sending me what they want....thanks john

Pacificocoffee

Feb 24, 2007
San Jose Ca.
Visit site
Bitter Coffee

In my experience it's usually grind and preparation. Don't get me wrong the type of coffee is important, but bitterness usually signals either too fine a grind which leads to longer contact with water. (The longer the contact the more bitter the coffee.) or dose; an incorrect amount i.e.; too much coffee and not enough water, or the method of brewing/extractng. :)

3ternal

Mar 22, 2007
Seattle, WA
Visit site
Sounds like you would like Latin coffee's, anything latin will be a great candidate. Not to advertise starbucks here, but I'd recommend something Like their Columbia or Guatemala, if you want something really mild just get breakfast blend. Have them grind it to your type of coffee maker, and go enjoy it asap (ground coffee deoxygenizes something like 75% after being ground, so it's only good for a max of like 48 hours). Just follow the directions for how much coffee to use on the bag.

haytoniaho

Jun 21, 2006
NJ
Visit site
Tweaks said:
Consider the idea of roasting your own.... then you can customize the bean & roast strength yourself.

That is something that I'd really like to get into...what kind of equipment do you need to get started? Obviously green beans, but can you use a regular oven? How would you avoid making the beans bitter? are over-roasted beans a cause for bitterness?

:)

Mr GreenBeans

Mar 10, 2007
Southern Illinois
Visit site
[quote:d0b70060c0=\"haytoniaho\"][quote:d0b70060c0=\"Tweaks\"]Consider the idea of roasting your own.... then you can customize the bean & roast strength yourself.[/quote:d0b70060c0]

That is something that I''d really like to get into...what kind of equipment do you need to get started? Obviously green beans, but can you use a regular oven? How would you avoid making the beans bitter? are over-roasted beans a cause for bitterness?

:)[/quote:d0b70060c0]
I am new to roasting coffee, so I''m not an expert, but I have had delicious results using the Fresh Roast 8 roaster. It couldn''t be easier! I found the best deal on it at http://burmancoffee.com when I was shopping this past December. I have also been buying my green beans from them...they arrive here in Southern Illinois only 2 days after I order them! :D
My favorites so far are Guatemalan Vista Hermosa and Mexican Malinal dry processed.

I haven''t had a bitter batch yet, and I have experimented with roasts from very light to very dark.

Good luck!

Tweaks

Mar 30, 2007
SC
Visit site
I too have been using the Freh Roast 8. It is an inexpensive and user friendly way to start roasting. After that it is just a matter of playing around with beans and roast time to see what you like. Even when I roast some and think I can improve flavor by roasting a little more or less the next time, it is still better than the best cup of coffee I had before. Mine came from http://coffeebeancorral.com and came with a sampler pack of green beans that made a good starting point for finding what I like. I have had excellent beans and service from them as well.

As a bonus I have found that my own roasted coffee does not give me the "acid stomach" that I used to get from drinking coffee all day.

garyscottadamson

Apr 8, 2007
UK
Visit site
Your'e using a french press! The bitterness could be simply due to over saturating the cofee in hot water, or using too hot water as it will have a huge effect on the cofee.

Hatterasman

Sep 11, 2015
Visit site
Citavo Coffee

I realize this post is old, but Sysco is NOT the only vendor for Citavo coffee. I buy my Citavo coffee from Century Food Service. Just Google them. I would post the link, but the forum won't allow me to do so.