Is Coffee good or Bad for you?!?

cuppED

May 15, 2005
Visit site
I was watching a show on PBS and they had a doctor talking about certain diseases and such and the topic of coffee came up. He mentioned the following about coffee...

1.) Coffee in the U.S. does not increase your cholesterol but coffee made in Europe does. The reason for this is b/c of the way coffee is brewed, in the U.S. it's dripped, but in Europe it's pressed...something like that.

2.) If you HAVE diabetes then you shouldn't drink coffee, but if you DONT have diabetes, studies have shown that you can lower your risk of getting diabetes by 30%.

3.) People with Asthma should drink coffee. He said, if an asthmatic is having an attack and can't find his/her inhaler, then give them a cup of coffee, it should help. I found this interesting b/c I have asthma so it was good to know that I can ENJOY something even when I can barely breathe, hahahaha.

I just thought you guys might find this interesting!!!

Javamom

May 19, 2005
SW Florida
Visit site
hi,

I did reply to this but it is lost...

I did see on TV one day a Doctor saying coffee was good for everyone but filtered by a brown filter. The brown filter was key

I do not think coffee is bad for anyone except for this guy :-D

medicdave

Nov 9, 2005
Upstate NY
Visit site
Hrmm - that coffee for asthmatics thing sounds interesting.

Maybe it would work, in theory, because the cafeinne is a stimulant. But I would have serious concerns about giving coffee - or any liquid orally - to someone having an attack. They have a high risk of aspirating, and if it did go "down the wrong pipe" so to speak, it would be very difficult for them to move enough air to cough it up.

[medic]Dave

SFG75

Dec 29, 2004
Midwest
Visit site
There is a long list of positive health benefits of coffee, such as....

-The more coffee you drink, the better your chances are of not having a problem with diabetes.....

After analyzing data on 126,000 people for as long as 18 years, Harvard researchers calculate that compared with not partaking in America's favorite morning drink, downing one to three cups of caffeinated coffee daily can reduce diabetes risk by single digits. But having six cups or more each day slashed men's risk by 54% and women's by 30% over java avoiders.

...or a problem with Parkinson's

Consider this: At least six studies indicate that people who drink coffee on a regular basis are up to 80% less likely to develop Parkinson's, with three showing the more they drink, the lower the risk.

...or colon cancer

Other research shows that compared to not drinking coffee, at least two cups daily can translate to a 25% reduced risk of colon cancer,

..or cirrhosis of the liver

an 80% drop in liver cirrhosis risk,

..not to mention gallstones

and nearly half the risk of gallstones.

....it also offsets vices such as smoking

Coffee even offsets some of the damage caused by other vices, some research indicates. "People who smoke and are heavy drinkers have less heart disease and liver damage when they regularly consume large amounts of coffee compared to those who don't," says DePaulis.
http://www.sunrisecoffee.com/Default.aspx?tabid=77

So yes, this stuff is good for you-drink up! :)

marco.crazy

Nov 25, 2004
Visit site
is it???????????

walking across the road!!! is it bad for you??? :-D only if it's busy and you try it with your eyes closed!!! :? bah>>> who cares man!!!just enjoy it!! beer is worse but it does't stop most does it?! the body will breakdown around 125mg's an hour just have one an hour and all is cool!!!!!!! :-D