Looking for a few good MUGS

medicdave

Nov 9, 2005
Upstate NY
Visit site
Hi Everyone-

This is my first post here, so I apologize if this topic has already been covered. I did a quick search, but didn't come up with anything...

I am tired of crappy travel mugs. Maybe I'm being too picky, but I think that if you're going to spend $12-$25 on a stainless-steel or other specialty travel mug, it should at least keep your coffee warm through your morning commute.

My morning commute is about 25 minutes, and during the winter my car is below 30°F for at least 8-10 minutes of that time. I depend on my coffee (and, to a lesser extend, my remote starter!) to keep me warm!

I tried buying a nice stainless steel "insulated" travel mug from the company imprinted-swag store, but returned it after my coffee turned tepid after a mere 20 minutes. I visited the local coffee shop, picked up one of their stainless mugs, paid seventeen clams for it, and didn't fare any better than my first attempt. Both of these mugs had "18-8 stainless steel" stickers on the bottom, so I think they were made by the same company in some freakish underwhelming foreign-made drinkwear coincidence.

Meanwhile, my fiancee has a travel mug from Starbucks that keeps her chosen beverage hot for over an hour, and tolerably warm for two hours! Since I'm not a Starbucks fan for various reasons that surely have been discussed here before, and need not be rehashed, I'm looking elsewhere.

Can anybody please recommend a good brand of travel mug?! Here are the specs:
  • *It must be metallic - stainless steel, copper, whatever - but please no plastic.
    *It must keep the liquid inside hot. This means when I fill it up then grab it 2 minutes later, I don't want the outside to be warm!
    *It must be able to fit in an car cup holder - I love my Aladdin toasty-mug (the one with the warming stuff inside) to death, but hardly ever use it since it's about 6" wide at the base.
    *It need not have a handle, but that's a nice perk.

Am I being too picky? Should I just suck it up and buy a Starbucks mug since they're the only ones that seem to know how to make a decent insulated drinking vessel?

Sincere Regards,
medicDave