Critique my coffee

5ohwarrior

Jan 16, 2004
Indiana
Visit site
I would like to get some discussion going about making the best cup of coffee with the equipment we have. Obviously home roasting, conical burr grinding and commercial equipment will produce the best results, but I am talking about tips and suggestions for the best brew without buying anything.

I am by no means a coffee connoisseur or aficionado, just a man who likes coffee and can tell the difference between a good cup and a bad cup. I would love to get more serious about coffee, however I have far too many hobbies and interests taking up my time and money.

I will describe my method and ask for suggestion for improvement. Don’t hold back, let me have it if I’m doing something wrong.

I use local or internet purchased fresh roasted beans. Only enough to last about a week and I grind immediately before brewing. I have an inexpensive Braun blade-type chopper and I use 4 scoops (8 tbsp) of beans to 48 oz of water. My water is softened well water through a Brita filter. I pre moisten the paper filter before adding the grounds and pre-warm the thermal carafe. The brewer is a Bunn and I have the slow flow spray head installed. I usually stir the grounds with a chopstick about 30 seconds after the water starts to flow. The coffee is 190 degrees immediately after brewing and I pre warm the mugs before pouring a cup. I’m pretty happy with the taste I get from this method, am I doing everything I can?

tintinet

Sep 8, 2003
Visit site
Personnally, I prefer the French Press

As above. I usually much prefer the same beans brewed in my French Press rather than my drip machine.