Questions from a Rookie

Noonievut

Aug 30, 2006
Canada
Visit site
I've been using an inexpensive Krups Brava espresso machine now for a couple of years and was never really happy with the quality of the shot.

I'll be getting a Breville Cafe Roma espresso machine and I think it has much more potential than the Krups. I've found some good information on how to make a good espresso online, but I have a few other questions:

- Grinder - I have a Braun kmm30, it's an inexpensive burr grinder and it does work, but it's a pain to clean. Do you have to clean it after each use?

- Coffee - I usually buy the Lavasa (sp?) brick in the supermarket, I've bought Starbucks beans and have grinded them before a shot, but never really noticed much of a difference (I know it's not a simple answer), but are bricks like these capable of yielding a good shot, or do you have to buy beans, store properly, grind and use right away, etc?

- Use of the machine - I've read that you should 'pre warm' the machine before pulling a shot, so does this mean I put some water in the tank, run it through without the espresso, then pour more water in, then use with espresso? If this means something else, please explain.

Thanks.

MrBox

Feb 21, 2006
Statesboro, GA
Visit site
If you have the money buy a burr grinder. If not a regular grinder should do fine for you.

Find a Whole Bean espresso roast: there really is no comparision between whole bean fresh coffee and pre-ground

You are correct about pre-warming your machine. This should be done.
if it hasn't been used in a while. I do the same w/ my drip coffee maker

JM