Espresso Tamping, Dosing Technique: Single vs. Double

baristaben

Aug 30, 2006
Visit site
Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I have a question about espresso dosing and tamping techniques.

I have a new La Pavoni 2 group machine, and I'm generally really pleased with it. When making double shots, I consistently pull a nice shot using the following technique:

1. Dose from grinder to a little above rim of portafilter
2. Level off with finger
3. Initial light tamp
4. Tap to remove excess coffee
5. Full tamp
6. Insert and start

This is the method I learned, which has usually worked for me and it works well with all my double shots.

However, when I use this technique on a single shot, I have a hard time inserting the portafilter into the machine. Sometimes it won't fit at all. (I tried alternating portafilters and inserts as well as inspecting the portafilters for faults. I found no inconsistencies.) My only remedy has been to dose less coffee in step 1, which means no leveling off in step 2. And tamp harder in step 5. This works alright, and coffee comes out ok, but sometimes it's little weak. I also thought that the portafilters were made to use the same technique on both, but maybe I need to adjust my technique altogether.

I appreciate any help out there. Thanks,
Ben

ElPugDiablo

A fair amount of people, one of them being me, find it hard to be able to adjust the grinder so that they can pull both single and double with equal consistency. Most just use the double basket and pull two singles. Some save the extra shot, some toss it.

baristaben

Aug 30, 2006
Visit site
Hey, thanks for the reply. That's actually what I was thinking of doing, using the double. I may even buy another double portafilter and forget about single.

Thanks again,
Ben