Hello all - an introduction

sosomething

Sep 22, 2006
Circle City
Visit site
Hi folks!

This seems like a nice place. I'm awkward with introductions but I'll give it my best shot...

My name is Adam - I'm 25 and I currently live and work in Indianapolis. I'm a full-time technical contractor, a full-time guitarist in an original rock band, and a full-time caffeine addict. :) I actually found this place through a link posted on a popular music gear forum (TGP, for those who know the place) and decided to register.

I've always known that the coffee/espresso universe ran as deep as any other special interest, but I've never known anyone personally who cared as much about a good cup of coffee as I did (with exception to the drummer in my band), so without proper guidance I've pretty much played it safe. Strange, now that I think of it, that I never sought out a coffee forum. Hmm.

Anyway, I've been through a number of cheaper coffee makers and espresso machines - only to have each one die a miserable, plastic, steam-driven death at the hands of the exceptionally hard water we have here. I had the usual $30 Wal-Mart jobs and a few Krupps machines that seemed nice at first but quickly fell short. Recently I decided to move up a little bit and purchased the pump-driven Breville Cafe Roma which I have thoroughly enjoyed. I've had it a couple of months and it's still going strong, and I've realized the joy of a nice, thick crema which I had previously been missing out on.

I realize that to some of you I'm still a Philistine - I buy my beans from Starbucks and while I do enjoy it (the Bold and Extra Bold flavors exclusively) I can't help but wonder if there's better out there than the same old Sumatra. :) I'm hoping you kind folks can educate me on this.

I went on for a little longer than intended, but I think it's a good start. I look forward to both coffee and non-coffee - related discussions with you all.

Jackson

Aug 22, 2006
Columbus, OH
Visit site
crema

welcome Adam, if you are looking for crema, I will tell you my favorite beans. Brazil Santos (Bourbon) has an amazing crema. Another bean from Brazil is from a farm called Deterra. I sampled four beans from this farm and my favorite was a peaberry, (I think the Deterra peaberry is grown specifically for espresso). When talking crema, you have to give India coffees credit. Monsooned Malabar when brewed through an espresso machine will be 75% crema. I have blended Malabar with Colombian Supremo for a very smooth shot. My favorite bean is India Mysore, it has very good crema and the body isn't bad.
If you like Italian roasted coffee, there are only a few beans in the world that will hold unique characteristics when roasted that dark. Ethiopian Yirgacheffe is one of them. If you get your hands on any, the crema will not disappoint you.

Jackson

Aug 22, 2006
Columbus, OH
Visit site
If you roast at home, Sweet Maria's is probably the best place for green coffee. If you buy roasted coffee on-line, there are tons of coffee roasters that post on this forum. Most roasters will have at least a few of the coffees I mentioned, good luck!