Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Hmm, I never bothered to go deeper into my "brown" sugar. But thanks to all your clarification and added information. They're all appreciated!

Personally, it's the flavor that I like whenever I use "brown" sugar and not really the "health" aspect if any. At times, I use "washed" sugar. Here in my country, we have this "washed sugar" which in color is somewhere between white refined sugar and dark brown sugar.

I have also tried Muscovado and the flavor was also fine with me.

Just talking about coffee makes me wanna get another cup!
    PinoyFoodWriter.com

Quote Originally Posted by caffe biscotto

Brown sugar is in fact just refined white sugar, with molasses, thereby adding slightly more minerals and calories. Just because it's brown like whole grain rice or whole wheat, doesn't mean it's a whole food.

Unless you're using sucanat, which truly is an unrefined sugar... It's a darker orange, versus brown. But even sucanat has no significant nutritional advantage over white sugar.
    Actually you have it backwards. White sugar is just refined from brown sugar. What most people don't realize is white sugar is just put through the spin cycle a few more times removing all of the molasses minus a few trace elements and thus producing white sugar.
    Have you ever walked through the aisle of your local grocer and smelled the death of a dying bean?

Hey, I like brown sugar too. In fact, I like molasses even better. I prefer it over maple syrup on such things as waffles, pancakes, toast, etc. Even better is rice syrup or malted barley syrup. If you like sugar in your coffee, you could try these as well.

But, I think the brown sugar that espressogirl was initially referring to is the brown sugar that has had the natural molasses reintroduced or added back into refined white sugar, thus making brown sugar more of a “processed” food than even refined white sugar. I don’t think she was referring to natural brown sugar.

(BTW - I haven't been receiving topic reply notification emails since we switched servers earlier this month.???)
    Advertising URL in your signature line was removed by your favorite Moderator.

You're right cafe biscotto! That's the brown sugar I'm using.

Anybody here familiar with the sweetener used in a coffee shop in Singapore called Kopi Rotti? That's condensed milk, right? At times I used that too to sweeten my coffee.
    PinoyFoodWriter.com

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links