More bitter coffee and storage

quarfish

Nov 15, 2006
Denver, Colorado
Visit site
I'm a home roaster and my coffees taste great the first two days. After that they become slightly bitter. The roasted beans are left out over night to finish emitting gas and then stored in a plastic bag in the fridge. Wondering if I'm doing something wrong here as I read so many different opinions about storage.

Any help would be great!
Quarfish

Davec

Oct 18, 2006
Old England (UK)
Visit site
quarfish said:
I'm a home roaster and my coffees taste great the first two days. After that they become slightly bitter. The roasted beans are left out over night to finish emitting gas and then stored in a plastic bag in the fridge. Wondering if I'm doing something wrong here as I read so many different opinions about storage. Quarfish

Possibly just about everything, but easy to fix. Try waiting 3 days before drinking your coffee....it's normally better after a wait of this time. Probably due to checmical reactions that must still be ongoing in the coffee, but I have also noticed the finness of grind changes during this period and am pretty sure this also has a major effect on the taste. Coffee fresh outta the roaster and in the first few days, does seem to have to be ground a bit coarse than at the 3 day mark.

Make yourself a few cheap 1 way valve containers, place the coffee into those within 1 hour after roasting (fill em as full as you can, leave minimum airspace). Resist the temptation to open for 3 days, then crack the lid and smell em, they will smell great and should taste fantastic.....unfortunately it's all downhill from there. :-D

P.S. Don't keep the coffee in the fridge, just a cool dark place (cupboard)

If you want to know how to make the home made one way valve jars, just use the website in my www link button and do a search.

I believe there are good reasons why 1 way valve containers/bags work better than sealed containers or tied up plastic bags....but I havn't got around to posting up the article yet.