"Begginner" Coffee

Coffee_Hangover

Apr 4, 2004
Starbucks
Visit site
Hello. I am thinking about getting into coffee, and I was wondering if there is any kind I should start out with - like, work my way up? Or should I just jump in with a douple mocha latte or something like that? Thanks!

(i'm sorry about how silly that sounds....)

timeggers

Oct 2, 2004
Illinois
Visit site
Do yourself a favor and at least try a French press coffee maker. Even with pre-ground coffee out of the can you will get more flavor. I swear by my French press but since you are new try many things. The worst mistake you could make is to dismiss a coffee making method or specific coffee without trying it first. Then as you develop your pallete for coffee you will learn what to do and buy to suit your preferences. Remember coffee is an adventure. Enjoy the ride! Here is a great place to start:

http://www.coffeeresearch.com

manual_drip

Oct 9, 2004
Pennsylvania
Visit site
Find a coffee you like the smell of. I'd recommend first grinding it very fine (espresso or Turkish), then make it using a manual drip cone and pour the water in all at once (with finely ground coffee, if you don't pour it in all at once, it will clog the filter). Use 4 tablespoons of grounds and 8 - 12 ounces of water.

If the grind is coarser, I've found that I have to pour a little bit of water in one or two times before pouring the rest in to get the best taste. Occasionally I've done it wrong and thrown the coffee out. A very fine grind seems to always make good coffee if the water's poured in all at once, except sometimes with the very finest grind(Turkish) the filter has still clogged up.