Is it possible?

ib1-2

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Recently people at work and my wife have commented that I have a healthy glow as if being in the sun. As we have not seen much sun and I wouldn't have the time anyway I wondered if my sudden addiction to my new espresso machine is making me change colour.

I drink about 3-4 espresso at night with the odd cappaccino but have to suffer instant machine coffee during the day. Would this sudden intake of the brown nectar affect my skin colour can anyone tell me? I'm not complaining if there is no health risk, as it would be a good side effect and cheaper than using artificial colouring: not that I would anyway. :roll:

cafemakers

Nov 3, 2004
Visit site
It's probably not affecting your color, but the caffeine may be artificially putting you in a good mood! Maybe people think that you look better because you're more upbeat or active?

ib1-2

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
cafemakers said:
It's probably not affecting your color, but the caffeine may be artificially putting you in a good mood! Maybe people think that you look better because you're more upbeat or active?

If my friends and collegues were told this they would fall about laughing. I'm the most miserable unbeat guy you can get, especially this time of year. Think of Scrooge, he's my protege.

No, my colouring is definately more tanned.

LoveJava

Nov 16, 2007
Visit site
I don't know about the coffee=tan thing (although I'm all for it!) but on the suffering through work coffee point - have you considered bringing in a small press pot? I just started doing this and although its not ideal to grind the beans at home and then not brew them for an hour or two, it has been working out quite nicely. I'm thinking of finding a small hand grinder to keep there, too, but I'm afraid that might make my boss think I should have better things to do....

cindy

Feb 8, 2005
South Africa
Visit site
lol....ive had my friends warn me about coffee...but im as pale as you can get (london tan). i avoid the sun and i have the very milky look to prove it.

also on the bad coffee at the office note***i also have a small press at work and i grind just enough for the day and i keep it in a very airtight container...almost none of the flavour is lost but at first i did make the mistake of grinding a large tin full....but we learn through our mistakes, dont we?

id love to see more comments on the skin colour changing though.

davidsbiscotti

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
After searching on the subject of the possible tanning properties of coffee, I've found nothing that makes it a credible notion.

I did however find some companies touting the skin healing properties of coffee, something which I didn't expect. Some of the ailments these arabica coffee based creams and soaps claim to help are: acne, chapped lips, dry skin and odors on hands, such as onion and garlic. Not to mention stimulating circulation, which must have a correlation to skin care as well.

So, there's no evidence of any tanning effect in relation to drinking coffee. Even the lotion companies won't claim it (you know they would if it was true).

I guess this leaves those of us who are of the pale persuasion to keep searching. :D

ib1-2

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
davidsbiscotti said:
So, there's no evidence of any tanning effect in relation to drinking coffee. Even the lotion companies won't claim it (you know they would if it was true). :D

So how am I going to explain my tanned complexion now? It was just a thought as eating a large quantity of carrots will turn the skin orange due to the carotene. I'm not complaining though :grin: