Creating Culture

Cotter

May 1, 2008
Whittier, CA
Visit site
Looking through old posts I've noticed an interesting thread about coffee culture, one about event ideas for coffeehouses, and some discussion of physical layouts for shops. What I'd like to know is how owners of shops have tried to encourage a certain kind of culture in their own shop. Have you given that a lot of thought? What sort of atmosphere and activity have you tried to encourage? How did you do it? Did it work? Did you plan your place in order to attract a certain kind of clientele, or did the clientele come first and you planned the place to fit? Does decor matter? Are there some kinds of people who come into your place, turn around, and leave because they feel out of place?

Cindy

I think if you are an independent opperator, the culture of the cafe you comes directly from you and you staff. Apart from the obvious drinks menu and coffee served; decor, food selection, music, opening hours, lighting, promotions and location of the cafe all play a part in the culture that will develop there. In the past I have been involved in managing several cafes, where the management teams input has pretty quickly changed the clientale of those cafes. We had a clear idea of what we wanted in these places- in one case it was a polar opposite of what we took over. In both cases we changed the culture and boosted the sales of these businesses.

Obviously the involvement, skill and enthusiasm (but not necessarily the ability to spell correctly!) plays a huge part in what kind of cafe you build. I have seen a number of cafes both here, and in NZ and Australia fail- not through design or setup problems, but rather because the feel of the places just was not right, and customers (being the super sensitive people they are) are very attuned to a cafe environment that does not work.

So I guess I am saying the people I reckon are paramount over decor- unless you are are building some ind of place in a trendy, (s)wanky location...then probably someone with a bit more experience about cafes in those locales will pitch in with their $0.02 worth. Good luck! :grin:

houseoflazerus

Jul 8, 2008
alabama mobile
Visit site
my idea. still in the works

Im going for the 18-30 christian crowd im going to offer coffee(caps fraps lattes) milkshakes,sodas,and smoothies.Also my hours are from 12pm-2am lots of seating and a pool table.Also a stage for live bands comments appreciated am i crazy?

Jan 18, 2008
MASS.
Visit site
Hi houseoflazerus,

What's so crazy about a Christian Cafe with a stage for live bands?
It's a coffee bar, a Christian themed night club, I like it.
Will you have an open mic night?

I couldn't help but notice, if you're thinking about calling the cafe House of Lazerus, you might need to change it to House of Lazarus, lest you receive negative comments on the spelling.
John 11:1-14

I wish you the best with it and if you keep us posted on your progress, I'll send you a sample order of biscotti from a reputable New England bakery. :D

Jan 18, 2008
MASS.
Visit site
John P said:
Christians.... at 2am?
Nothing good happens after midnight. :twisted:

I get it now, it's from a Denny's commercial, right?

Ha! I just saw it last night and remembered your post.

Sorry John P, about the devil comment earlier, I deleted it.

espressogirl

Oct 6, 2008
Visit site
Re: my idea. still in the works

Hmm, this is an interesting idea. I mean, that you are targeting a Christian crowd. Just wondering if your location is near some venue for their activities, because that would explain it.

Here in my area, I don't think there is something close to your concept. But personally I like it. My only concern is that will it not discriminate the non-Christians? Correct me if I am wrong, but that is how I understood your post. Hope you could enlighten me.

:wink: