43 years old and never had coffee

johnstac

Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
Not sure whether I am proud or embarrassed. In either case, I find that I am just low on energy. I hear that those energy drinks don''t taste to good either. But I am willing to give coffee a try. Honestly, I only tasted it when I was about 17. I took a drink of my moms cup of Yuban. Man, that was just nasty. I always wondered though, why it smells so good before you brew it.
Not to ramble...sorry. Getting back to my point, what do I try? I likely would not visit a coffee house every day since I work from home. On the other hand, I would visit one to try different blends and then buy the coffee and make it at home. I''m guessing coffee is not the same as espresso but I am open to that as well. Just looking for somewhere to start. Sometimes I see them brewing coffee at Costco and wonder if it would be any good. Basically though, I just need energy and coffee seems to be an easy fix.
Your advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

John

You know, even though I am a coffee proffessional I would not prescribe coffee as being an answer to your low energy levels. Quite the contary, using caffeine as a substance to build up and mantain energy levels can result in a dependence on coffee. I would say look a your lifestyle first- maybe working from home means you are not getting quality downtime- like your home and office are together, so you feel you are at work all the time? I think try some other alternatives- increased exercise etc. Coffee should be primarily enjoyed- I admit I drink quite a few cups a day- but totally for enjoyment, not for the kick (and as I drink mainly arabica based espress/Espresso baed drinks) the caffeine in the cup is not as huge as you would expect.

johnstac

Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
I find your post curious. For years, I have had friends that drink coffee that have made statements like, "I have to have my coffee before I can function in the morning." and many such similar statements. Perhaps you are the exception; Someone who drinks coffee for the pure enjoyment and has nothing to do with the caffeine.

Would like to hear from others if you not only enjoy coffee, but if it helps you wake up or if you NEED it to function in the morning, etc.

Thanks again.

Jan 18, 2008
MASS.
Visit site
Alun is not like most humans because coffee is his life. :D

I enjoy my morning coffees for the caffeine as well as the flavors. It's not just for the kickstart, as I also enjoy a cup in the evening after dinner when it's chill time, just to sit back and enjoy the cup.

I would recommend coffee way before any "energy drink" sugar rush. Coffee is simple, pure and natural. The best thing is to see the ingredients label on my bag of coffee - Coffee. Remember to put that part in the report....

johnstac

Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the response. Was just talking to one of my wife's girlfriends today and she told me that her husband takes a 4 shot espresso in the morning before leaving to work and she will drink a pot of coffee herself before noon. She recommended the regular Kirkland brand at Costco along with some Coffee Mate French Vanilla. At least that's what she likes. Not sure if that would be a good place to start or not.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello John,

I'm sure there are lots of other people your age who haven't explored the world of coffee. Many people either had a bad coffee experience when they were young or they just never learned to enjoy the taste of coffee as they progressed throughout the years.

I agree with Alun. You may want to look into other ways to increase your energy level before you start trying to use coffee for an energy kick. Some of the best ways to increase your energy levels are to get some exercise, eat small meals throughout the day to maintain a steady blood sugar level, and get out of the house and do something that's fun!

Have you ever consumed anything that has caffeine in it, such as hot tea or perhaps sodas like Coke or Pepsi? Do you enjoy the taste of coffee ice cream or perhaps pastries that have coffee in them?

Although I don't recommend it....if you're just looking to use coffee for the caffeine kick and the energy rush, you can always buy an over- the -counter preparation that contains caffeine. Most vitamin and health food stores sell them. They are designed to give a quicker pickup effect much like drinking a cup of coffee. Of course, this is due to the caffeine content. However, these types of preparations may make you feel jittery and give you an upset stomach.....which would make you feel worse. The caffeinated drinks like Red Bull, etc. do the same thing in addition to being loaded with sugar.

On the other hand, if you think you're ready to explore the world of coffee, why not start by visiting a local coffee shop where the coffee will be fresh and brewed correctly. Plus, it may be good for you to get out of the house once in a while. You'll probably need to acquire a taste for coffee, and it will be a gradual process. If you start off by sampling the good stuff, you'll enjoy the taste much more than you did when you were 17 and you had the unfortunate experience drinking Yuban coffee. Yuck!

Rose

johnstac

Jul 19, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for all of that great information. Regarding other means of caffeine, for as long as I can remember, I have always drank things with no caffeine. Not intentional, but I like things like Sierra Mist but of course, soda is loaded with sugar.
Perhaps it's my age that prompts replies about exercise, meals, etc. I say this because is there truly anyone in the world who enjoyed their first cup of coffee?
My friend owns a gourmet coffee shop here in Spokane, WA so I went there today and he was happy to let me try different things. First out was a cold latte. Not good. I asked him for something hot. He asked me if I liked chocolate so next was a cup of something. Don't ask me what. But he had used both some chocolate and whipped cream. I have to say, you guys are nuts! Just kidding. It's just that coffee is.....I don't know. Even with the chocolate and cream, etc, you can still taste the coffee. LOL.
Who among you enjoyed your very first cup of coffee. Honestly?

Thought I would also mention that I have to watch what I eat. I was diagnosed with celiac disease about a year ago. Why after 42 years does someone all of the sudden get an allergy to glutton? Not sure but anyway, no wheat, barley, flour, etc. All the things I use to enjoy. Chips a hoy! Sigh.... Anyway, at least I'm pretty sure that coffee is glutton free.

Peace

I do not remember my first cup of instant coffee- I guess it would have been when I was a young adult, but it was about as memorable as listening to a 5 hour speech from a politician, while being chained to a chair (the listener- not the politician!). However I do clearly remember my first cup of specialty coffee and how much a/- I liked it and b/- how obviously it shaped the rest of my life so much that I am now living 9000km from home and working in the coffee industry. Maybe as biscotto says, I am not the norm! Anyway, the first specialty coffee I tried was in a plunger on a very wet, cold and miserable day inWellington, NZ. Me and a friend had finished Uni for the day and took the cable car down from University to Lambton Quay. Walking down Cable Car lane there was a blackboard outside of a boutique cafe advertising "French Press" coffee- "Freshly Ground and brewed". Those of you who know NZ and the coffee scene there today will know that Wellingtonians are one of the highest per capita consumers of quality coffee. Back 20 odd years ago there was NOTHING in Wellington that even came close to resembling quality...or indeed coffee as we know it today!! Anyway, I digress. My friend and I seeing how terrible the weather was outside (-10 with wind chill, 70km/h southerly wind) climbed the stairs to the cafe, called "The Marble Bar" an ordered 2 plungers/French Press/Caffitere of coffee. We sat out on the sheltered balcony waiting for the coffee, watching the people below walk by dripping wet. The coffee came, we waited a couple of minutes and "pressed" the coffee. I still remember how good the coffee was. It was a Central American of some sort- we drank it black. We ended up having a couple of French Presses each- the caffeine lubed our brains I guess and we found ourselves talking about what we wanted to do after we had completed uni. My friend said he wanted to get into Fashion design (for the girls I suspect)- today he is an accountant in Holland- working with figures of a different kind :wink: . I said I wanted to get into the coffee business.... It was a spur of the moment thing, kind of tied in with what I was studying at university as well I guess. Anyway.... yes I DID enjoy the first cup of specialty coffee, and yes I remember it as clearly as what I was doing when 9/11 happened (which would be one of the most defining events of this century).

Not good news about the Celiac problem. I never knew about this type of allergy until I read a posting elsewhere on this forum. I am not sure if this allergy might also have a problem if you drink coffee, but for sure you should check it out I think before drinking too much- especially as you have not drunk coffee before just the other day!

Regarding the "flavors" of coffee- every different origin has a specifc different cupping character to it. That means great coffee (of the arabica variety) should actually not taste like coffee! Hmmm...I know this is hard to believe, but arabica coffees pick up flavors naturally fom the micro environments they grow in, from soil types, from sunshine hours, rainfall, the sugar content of the cherry when picked...etc. You should try and find a cafe or a roaster that will offer cupping courses- you can learn a lot about the coffee and the natural flavors this way. For instance- Java Arabica has nice bitter chocolate flavors, while a Toraja will have ripe, rich port wine qualities, with tones of citrus fruit. Give it a go- not though for the caffeine alone...but see if you enjoy it as it is.

Jan 18, 2008
MASS.
Visit site
Nice story Alun. When you said your first drink was from a plunger, I chuckled with a vision of a toilet plunger full of coffee. That's just the janitor in me, I guess.

If I might add, hot coffee provides a warming sensation throughout the body, somewhat of a jacuzzi for the stomach if you will. Who doesn't like a jacuzzi.... can we get an amen. :D

Hey Biscotto- yeah us kiwis all call it a "plunger". Would for sure have the more cultured coffee buffs squirming. "Mate, wanna plunger?" I have got myself into hotwater (pardon the pun) and these days try to remember to call it a French Press or, more lithley, a Caffetere! We also dont call a Jacuzzi a Jacuzzi- we call it a "spa pool"- add it to your notes for your trip down under just in case you want a "plunger in the spa pool" and not a "Caffetiere in the Jacuzzi!!" :D

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello again.

Yes, that was a great story, Alun!

It's amazing how first-time experiences can shape the course of a person's life. I'm sure we're all very glad that your first coffee experience was such a memorable one and it enticed you into making such a great career choice.

On another note ... I'm helping out in the cafe for a local bed and breakfast this summer, and I was befuddled when a guest asked me how to work the bubble tub. My first reaction was to tell him to run the water in the tub and pour the bubble bath in it. That's how I used to make bubbles when I was young. As it turned out, he was referring to the jacuzzi. Oops!

Rose