Anyone here smoke cigars?

C

coffeeloverlisa

As infatuated as I am with my coffee, my husband Matthew and I enjoy a wonderful cigar in the afternoon or after dinner. I spend a lot of time talking about this on Facebook, so I thought I might start a thread about it here. Any interest?

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
I used to smoke cigars...but when I quit smoking cigarettes I had to give up the cigars as well. I am originally from Tampa the "cigar city" I ran a coffee/cigar bar years and years ago. It was nice seeing that there were so many cigar companies in town...they would come in on Friday nights and buy loads of their own cigars and hand them out to our customers..anyway...I would love to have a nice Hemingway...but I am going to behave :(

C

coffeeloverlisa

And how did you know Arturo Fuente are my favorite non-Cubans???

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
My favorite company that came in to buy cigars for our customers where the Newmans. They owned Cuesta Rey at the time and distributed Arturo Fuente at that time...great people great cigars!

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
The last "cigar" I smoked was a small Middleton Cherry Blend a few years ago. I used to smoke a pipe for many years, and I had quite a collection of attractive ones. I miss the relaxation of playing with the tobacco and lighting the pipe, etc. I had to give it up - - darn heart problems!

Rose

justinnemeth

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Ha I still have a cigar that I smoked when the Yankees won the 96 World Series. Ah what a great memory! I was there at game 7 and saw Wade Boggs riding around the stadium on a Police Horse.

wmark

Nov 12, 2008
Canada
Visit site
Life without vices is just a little more boring!

Don't smoke a whole lot but love the 12 y.o rum that accompanies it.
If I lived in Floradita I would be drinking Flor de Cana and Zacapa all day long. The only thing cheaper and better is Ron Caney.

Randy G.

May 8, 2008
California
Visit site
Mind you, I have never smoked cigs, but I have smoked two cigars in my life. The best was when I was in about '73 when I was in college (NO! 1973...). A neighbor in the apratment was a Dutch citizen going to school here in the states. He had a turntable that needed the pulley changed to compensate for the 50 cycles there to the 60 cycles here. The setscrew was broken off, so I used my Dremel and cut a new slot and changed it for him. He opened a box of cigars that his father brought into teh US for him. Glass-tubed Tueros Gold. He gave me one as a thank you. It was sweet and smooth and I finished it. Delicious, indeed. Makes me hope that we normalize relations with Cuba in my lifetime - or I move to Canada.. Either would be just fine with me. Gerrard and Claurie (correct spelling unknown) were the Dutch couples' names. Hope they are still doing fine...

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
I have some Rocky Patel's aging in the humidor as I type this line out. Sitting right next to them are 2 Romeo y Julieta Vintage cigars that I'm saving for a rainy but warm day!

Once in a blue moon when someone up north brings down something from down south to smoke I go straight for that!!!

andyberard

Mar 31, 2011
Colorado
Visit site
I used to smoke a lot of cigars especially with my coffee. But I am 54 and had to give em up so I don't jepordize my health. I have too many reasons why not to invite throat cancer into my life. But I do miss my stogies.

C

coffeeloverlisa

Totally understand... but I am liking my sticks! When I get together with guys at a "herf" they look like little boys with HOT WHEELS and they are trading them!

Right now my faves are Arturo Fuente Opus X Perf #5's. When Matthew and smoke them we take photos and put them up on a website gallery:

Check it out!

gallery.html

Cheers,

Lisa

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
Everything looks nice until you see that Humidor. I haven't met a single one that I liked with glass sliding doors. I prefer to walk into a place where they have a whole room dedicated to cigars and a door on it that looks like it belongs on the outside of your house. To many bad experiences with dried out cigars and odd ball flavors that were picked up from other fragrant items in the store.

Randy G.

May 8, 2008
California
Visit site
So, buying cigars, displayed in the open at Walmart during Christmas, next to the kettle of potpourri with orange peel, cranberries, cinnamon and cloves is right out then?
I HATE shopping around X-mas time because the aroma of cloves disgusts me. I can't imagine the first person who picked some, smelled it, and thought, "These might be good to eat!"
To paraphrase the old joke...
A dog was licking his rear for half an hour.
"Why are you doing that?" his owner asks.
"I just ate some cloves and I'm trying to get the taste out of my mouth."

C

coffeeloverlisa

*Spits coffee out of nose onto keyboard* Thanks.

Love the walk in humidor but the cost is proportional... and it usually cost me a lot:exclamation:

On my website, Hisandherf.com, under REX, I have coffee and cigar pairings. I welcome your contributions!!! I will supply the photos, you can just e-mail your suggestions!

Lisa