Your Best "Spilling" Story

jmattor

Mar 24, 2011
Redondo Beach, CA
Visit site
Hi, I'm new here. Love coffee....hate coffee.

I tend to spill it now and again.

I imagine I'm not alone. In fact I know I'm not. I married a wonderful woman who turned out to be my equal in that department.

Why just the other morning.....I come downstairs, ready to grab my massive travel mug filled with my morning coffee and she's in the kitchen swearing, pulling out drawers! Cleaning up a big mess...

Turns out she fired up the coffee maker and then took the dog out for a few minutes.

Just one problem, she forgot to put the coffee pot under the basket. :coffeespill: :shock:

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 14, 2010
Coffee Country, USA
Visit site
The most recent spill I can remember was due to the carafe I was using and the screw top.. the coffee was coming out too slow but rather then adjust it after I stopped I tried to adjust it on the fly. Lid on the carafe popped off on me and out poured the coffee like a gusher.... 90% of it went outside my mug.

Damnit. Being in a hurry always screws us over!

kris7047th

Mar 24, 2011
Monroe, Mich
Visit site
Does dumping the cream out all over my bedroom before I poured the coffee in my mug ( I use a thermal thick plastic cup with a snap oon lid because I hate warm coffee) I must have been still half asleep when I did this yesterday am, 'cause I can't remember how it happened, but cream landed everywhere on a pair of my boots, the carpet ...
Oh yeah .. I keep the pot in my bedroom, not in the kitchen. That is what ya'll call a serious addiction :coffee: Like to see anyone top that! lol

rudyy

Mar 24, 2011
imperial valley
Visit site
can't say i've ever spilled coffee; maybe when i was several hundred feet under water on patrol in the western pacific, but i'm not sure.
of course, i expect to any day now as i keep flirting with the top of my chemix, just waiting to pour the water in too fast, or not paying attention.
i'm sure it'll be a mess, and i'll learn my lesson.

My spill is a dry spill - but a bad one anyway! I had packed a couple of half pound bags to bring to some friends in Scotland. Of course I put them in a plastic bag but one popped and the grinds snuck out of the plastic and COVERED my clothes - not so good for my meeting the next day!

mishagoss

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Spill ??

A bit of a long story, but here goes...
We used to carpool from LI NY to Long Island City along the LIE (the worlds longest parking lot)
Anyway there were 4 of us and w'd stop at a coffee truck on the service road, this was in the 80's, remember the seat belts that had a track and pulled themselves closed?
Well, I was the last in so that meant the "shotgun" seat, I had my coffee in my right hand, closed the door and the seatbelt rose up and I watched as it brought my arm right up to my chest, spilling a whole cup of hot coffee right on my chest...not thing I could do to stop it....hust gasp as I watche it happen...

Randy G.

May 8, 2008
California
Visit site
Embarrassing to even recall... Drove south about 90 miles to look at and then purchase a car for mom (who is over 80). These things always take about twice as long as planned, so we stopped at a Subway in Rocklin for lunch. Next door was a coffee shop with a roaster. I dropped in but the owner/roaster was not there. Had the ladies pull me a straight shot. It had been a long morning, I was stressed about buying a used car, and doing so with someone else's money. I am far-sighted and did not have my glasses on. I went to sniff the espresso before sipping, and as I brought it up to my mouth I hit my arm on something, and managed to sill about 80% of it on me, the counter, my shoes, and the floor. ughhhh...

Kawha

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I remember back when i was a kid i ordered my first espresso and was shocked about how small it was. Anyway, yeah i spilled it all over the table along with the water paid for it and haven't been a big fan of espresso ever since :wink:

Randy G.

May 8, 2008
California
Visit site
Had another the other morning, this time here at home...
Been mentally preoccupied lately, particularly first thing in the AM. Been hard to follow the morning ritual and have been forgetting little things. Like, go to the kitchen with the towel and steaming pitcher, wet corner of towel for steam wand cleaning, go back to machine in den, start working and later remember that the pitcher with no milk in it is still in the kitchen
["Got Milk?" NO!].
Nothing tragic... easily remedied... just a symptom of preoccupation.

So I am getting reay to pull th second AM double.. I grind, dose, place the bottomless on my SPlat Mat, level, tamp, and turn to grab something (can't even remember what I needed), and I let go of the PF handle momentarily and the portafilter falls to the floor, losing the entire double dose into the carpet. The upside is that the den smelled good until I got out the vacuum later that morning.