measuring coffee beans with scale

coffeesuds

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
I asked how to measure coffee beans for a grinder and shadow745 said that he uses a scale to measure his beans for the grinder. i have a food scale , is that the same that he would be talking about? i thought that you would use a tablespoon to measure. what do you people use to measure? i'm a newbe and getting into a coffee press way of making coffee i also have an old blade grinder but also thinking off buying a burr grinder now.

Randy G.

May 8, 2008
California
Visit site
It depends on how you brew coffee. For drip, press or pour-over a volume measure is sufficient. For moka pot and espresso, a digital scale that weighs in tenths of a gram can be a big move towards consistency.

coffeesuds

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
it would be for a press and maybe sometimes the drip maker. say fro every 6 oz what would be the measurement in whole beans?

Randy G.

May 8, 2008
California
Visit site
While things are pretty specific for espresso, or at least to say in a specific range, for other methods it is more a matter of personal taste. Usually it is about 2T. per 6 ounce cup which would be about 10 grams I think, but this varies widely.. very widely.

coffeesuds

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
thanks randy, are you talking 2T ground or whole bean? right now i use 2 T ground for 6 oz cup . i'm trying to find out either the weight or measurement to grind from whole beans to get 2 tbsp ground. i guess like they, is to experiment so i'm to the grinder.

alphawave7

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
When I manually dose on my Vibi (a naked triple basket, 21 grams), two heaping coffee scoops (whole bean) tends to do the trick. A standard coffee scoop is supposed to be 2TBSP, but I've also got a few 1.5TBSP scoops too. If I were doing drip,etc., try two scoops, and see what you think. Want it slightly stronger? Up the dose or reduce water. :)

LittleBrother

May 28, 2014
Florida
Visit site
For this type of measuring food scales are really best. I use digital portion control scale. It is easy to measure on it.
The best thing about using a food scale is that we always know what quantity we are using at that time.

Last edited: