Do you believe what CEO Howard Schultz says is true of Starbucks?

kanenwis

Apr 7, 2011
Berkeley, CA
Visit site
In his video Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz says, "I have been criticized over the years for strongly believing that building shareholder value and making money is a pretty shallow goal if its not linked to creating value for your people and giving back to the community." Do the actions of Starbucks truly reflect these principles? What do you think? Check out the Starbucks webpage for the video.

Randy G.

May 8, 2008
California
Visit site
He's a businessman, pure and simple. I have no problem with that. But for the other side of the coin, try taking a look at the I Hate Starbucks BB.
What some of these employees face on a day-to-day basis does not reflect a caring, concerned, nor humane management system. The people behind the counters are often nothing more than drones, and as long as the managers of each store make their profit quota then the district managers are happy. In some stores the workers are not allowed to keep their tips. Nice.
And if "giving back to the community" involves high fat beverages and foods, and being part of the obesity and heart disease problem in this country, then he is successful.
It's a food product designed to bring in customers and make a profit. It's fast food with a carefully designed and implemented facade of class and quality. That's it.

..all IMO, of course, but read what so many of the employees say on that board. They deserve better.

kanenwis

Apr 7, 2011
Berkeley, CA
Visit site
First, I don't know of any examples where Starbucks gives back to the community on a regular basis and in an intentional way.

Second, How does Starbucks purchasing of green beans effect the economies it buys them from? Are they paying a better than average price? How does their purchasing compare to fair trade purchasing?

ChopShopCoffee

Dec 6, 2012
Tukwila,WA
Visit site
I know someone who worked with Starbucks for 4 yrs....She said it was the worst place she has ever worked for. She said she constantly got yelled at for speed and so forth. They are over worked and their drinks reflect it. When she got hired on at the Cafe I worked for you could tell she worked for Starbucks..her drinks were based on speed and not quality. Yes they have great benefits but that means nothing if you are treated poorly.

GiantBeanCounter

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
First, I don't know of any examples where Starbucks gives back to the community on a regular basis and in an intentional way.

Second, How does Starbucks purchasing of green beans effect the economies it buys them from? Are they paying a better than average price? How does their purchasing compare to fair trade purchasing?

With the amount of coffee they buy, if they were to pull out of the coffee market, the prices of those beans would surely plummet.

That being said, it's a mutual business relationship. Starbucks doesn't even have the ability to stop purchasing as they'd ruin their business model.

I don't know anything about the employees' treatment, but they are not being forced to work there. Unless the employee quits, they are implicitly making a statement that the relationship has thus far been mutually beneficial.

I don't typically buy SB coffee, I home brew just about every day, FWIW.