Silly coffee question :P

USRobinson

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I was just curious, I really enjoy eating raw roasted coffee beans... and I was wondering if eating them has the same effect as drinking coffee? In terms of the caffeine hit?

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Raw roasted? I'd think raw as being green, so I must assume you mean chewing instead of grinding... I highly doubt you'll extract as much caffeine this way because heat applied to coffee is how most caffeine is drawn out. Think 195-205 degree water...

I've eaten my share of chocolate covered beans and never got much an an energy boost. This is probably due to the fact that beans used for this are quite dark on roast level to make chewing much easier. Darker roasts equal less caffeine.

Randy G.

May 8, 2008
California
Visit site
When I visit a commercial roaster I will always pull a couple of fresh-roasted beans from the cooling tray and eat them. I find them delicious and it's not a bad way to impress the roaster. Theoretically, you will get a bit more caffeine from eating them.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
When I visit a commercial roaster I will always pull a couple of fresh-roasted beans from the cooling tray and eat them. I find them delicious and it's not a bad way to impress the roaster. Theoretically, you will get a bit more caffeine from eating them.

Simply not the case because heat is needed to extract te majority of caffeine from beans. Why do you think cold brewed coffee or tea is quite weak in caffeine when compared to the same coffee/tea that has been brewed hot?

FWIW theoretically speaking and reality are almost never comparable.