Too Much Confusion In the Coffee World...

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
We have many customers that say "give me the strongest, darkest coffee you have" and that's when I have to tell them that's an ass backwards statement. Then go on to explain lighter equals more caffeine, darker equals more carbon (Charbux joke) and so on. You should see the look on their faces. Then they're really baffled to see that our decaf blend is the darkest roast we offer, yet it's DECAF.

Randy G.

May 8, 2008
California
Visit site
There is no mystery in that. Starbucks has seemingly gone out of their way to keep the public ignorant about coffee. Talking to a number of coffee shop owners, I have of then told them that they need to create some sort of educational program. It could be a brochure or booklet with color photos of roast levels and discussion of various factors and it would include a coupon or punch card for their shop. I have also recommended giving out "tickets" to the regulars for special coffee nights which allow sampling of various blends and roasts, and discussions of the origins and roasts. In other words, teach your customers the value of your product. A barista also has to be a teacher and salesman.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site
Trust me when I say the majority of customers don't care to be educated about specialty coffee. They just want their cup and go with it. I for one educate when I feel I can slip a few words in, but for the most part it can be a waste of time. True CoffeeGeeks are few and far between and I actually think it's a good thing. The world can only tolerate so many nerds.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
The amount of caffeine in a dark vs a light roast is negligible at best. This is a crappy myth and you should explain to your customers that by weight or volume can change the outcome all together. You'd be better off just saying they are equal and go about your day.

Nathaniell

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Wait, so I'm confused. Is the caffeine difference in light vs dark roast negligible or is there a difference and the lighter roast have more caffeine?

Is it the roasting that takes out the caffeine?

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
The caffeine in the bean doesn't really change. But if you were to measure the amount of caffeine in a bean before you roast it then afterwards in say a dark roast then by weight the amount of caffeine would be higher because of the loss of water during the roasting process. If you were to measure it by volume it would be the exact opposite because the volume of the bean expands the more you roast it so you would have less caffeine overall in the finished product.

The point is the difference is minute.

calchapman9

May 8, 2011
New York
Visit site
This is a complicated subject, and I agree with the suggestion that there should be more education at the store level. But I also think the barista should be the one educating and, like Shadow745 said, customers may be shocked. Baristas should be the experts, and shouldn't be afraid to speak up and correct people when it's needed.

Cal Chapman
CoffeeMash.com - Coffee makers, grinders and fresh roasted coffee

Randy G.

May 8, 2008
California
Visit site
By raw numbers, the majority of baristas, frankly, aren't because they work at starbucks. I personally do not think running a superauto machone qualifies you as a barista in the way it is applied in the US (yes, I know it means bar keeper in Italian). And since a majority of coffee drinkers are using their beverage as a drugged, hot milkshake, the education thing is a low priority for the owner/operator of a coffee shop, rating far below making the payment on the Jag and not getting sued. And really, it is like that with food in the US. Think in terms of steak - there will always be the minority of establishments who cater to those who want the best, and the "Golden Corrals" and "Sizzlers" for the masses.

Ives

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Here is the proof why green tea is more effective than coffee or black tea..
coffee-80-100mg
black tea-40mg
green tea-20mg

DirtyDave

Most people want coffee....
Education is a luxury for those on their way to work.
Some customers will have the time, some won't have the capacity to understand the science in their cup.
If the coffee is carefully roasted and prepared with respect, your customers will like it.
If they want to add sugar and/or cream...............what could it hurt.
The more roasting a bean endures, the fewer original elements remain (including caffeine).
Less roasting, has it's own set of shortcomings (incomplete development of vegetal sugars etc).
So, if customers just want their coffee, sell it to them, just do the best job you can be proud of.

CoffeeJive

Jul 6, 2011
The Coffee Bar
Visit site
I agree that while a "darker" roast does not yield more caffein, it's negligible at best. I think the utilitarian drinker who is looking for a liquid boost but craves a hot cup of charcoal is probably going to be getting a larger cup anyway. So I would support their taste aesthetics over their naive understanding of a caffein fix, which is really just bringing them back to 'normal' behavior levels, fulfilling a withdraw.

Culinaria

Jul 13, 2011
Chicago, IL
Visit site
The real problem is that many who consume coffee really just want a pick-me-up and not fine beverage.

Starbucks has pushed the ignorance, even moreso because I look at most of their drinks mainly as "flavored milk with a hint of coffee". Let's be honest, many I see who go to a Starbucks usually order the high calorie "latte" that's really loaded with milk and flavored syrup. When you taste it, you ask "where's the coffee?". I'm not against flavoring or even sweetening coffee, but I still like to taste the coffee in the end.

So if I saw someone wanting a darker roast, or thinking 6 shots of espresso will somehow make up for not sleeping a full night, I roll my eyes. I'm from Chicago, and here we have loads of dive bars and wannabe Irish pubs. Cafes are more Starbucks and the occasional local spot who does things right. I see a lot of areas in this same mess, and thus we have to deal with it. I'm glad at least there are a few spots where one can get a decent cup of coffee and even get some later at night.

Best to ignore the ignorance...because those people don't want coffee. They just want a means to fight nature so they can continue drinking too much alcohol and not sleeping enough.

CamiMack

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Hello my coffee friends! I hope everyone is having a good day so far! I know I am :) Im here drinking my low glycemic, 100% organic fat burning coffee! It taste AMAZING and its so healthy for you. Let me ask you all this: If I said you can drink coffee, burn-fat, get paid and help a child. How does that sound? I do it everyday and I feel great, look great and I have a blast doing it. Google Boresha Reseach and you will see what I am talking about. After contact me if you want to change your life. <3 have a good day everyone!! TGIF lol

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
For a long time i wondered about how much caffeine was in different roasts. Not until i work for Green Mountain Coffee Roaster in Vermont did i learn about the facts of coffee and the quality.