Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Too Much Confusion In the Coffee World...

We have many customers that say "give me the strongest, darkest coffee you have" and that's when I have to tell them that's an ass backwards statement. Then go on to explain lighter equals more caffeine, darker equals more carbon (Charbux joke) and so on. You should see the look on their faces. Then they're really baffled to see that our decaf blend is the darkest roast we offer, yet it's DECAF.
    I'm a legend among my own kind... you my friend are just a legend in your own mind. Later!

There is no mystery in that. Starbucks has seemingly gone out of their way to keep the public ignorant about coffee. Talking to a number of coffee shop owners, I have of then told them that they need to create some sort of educational program. It could be a brochure or booklet with color photos of roast levels and discussion of various factors and it would include a coupon or punch card for their shop. I have also recommended giving out "tickets" to the regulars for special coffee nights which allow sampling of various blends and roasts, and discussions of the origins and roasts. In other words, teach your customers the value of your product. A barista also has to be a teacher and salesman.

Trust me when I say the majority of customers don't care to be educated about specialty coffee. They just want their cup and go with it. I for one educate when I feel I can slip a few words in, but for the most part it can be a waste of time. True CoffeeGeeks are few and far between and I actually think it's a good thing. The world can only tolerate so many nerds.
    I'm a legend among my own kind... you my friend are just a legend in your own mind. Later!

The amount of caffeine in a dark vs a light roast is negligible at best. This is a crappy myth and you should explain to your customers that by weight or volume can change the outcome all together. You'd be better off just saying they are equal and go about your day.
    Have you ever walked through the aisle of your local grocer and smelled the death of a dying bean?

Wait, so I'm confused. Is the caffeine difference in light vs dark roast negligible or is there a difference and the lighter roast have more caffeine?

Is it the roasting that takes out the caffeine?

The caffeine in the bean doesn't really change. But if you were to measure the amount of caffeine in a bean before you roast it then afterwards in say a dark roast then by weight the amount of caffeine would be higher because of the loss of water during the roasting process. If you were to measure it by volume it would be the exact opposite because the volume of the bean expands the more you roast it so you would have less caffeine overall in the finished product.

The point is the difference is minute.
    Have you ever walked through the aisle of your local grocer and smelled the death of a dying bean?

This is a complicated subject, and I agree with the suggestion that there should be more education at the store level. But I also think the barista should be the one educating and, like Shadow745 said, customers may be shocked. Baristas should be the experts, and shouldn't be afraid to speak up and correct people when it's needed.

Cal Chapman
    CoffeeMash.com - Coffee makers, grinders and fresh roasted coffee

By raw numbers, the majority of baristas, frankly, aren't because they work at starbucks. I personally do not think running a superauto machone qualifies you as a barista in the way it is applied in the US (yes, I know it means bar keeper in Italian). And since a majority of coffee drinkers are using their beverage as a drugged, hot milkshake, the education thing is a low priority for the owner/operator of a coffee shop, rating far below making the payment on the Jag and not getting sued. And really, it is like that with food in the US. Think in terms of steak - there will always be the minority of establishments who cater to those who want the best, and the "Golden Corrals" and "Sizzlers" for the masses.

Here is the proof why green tea is more effective than coffee or black tea..
    coffee-80-100mg
    black tea-40mg
    green tea-20mg

Most people want coffee....
    Education is a luxury for those on their way to work.
    Some customers will have the time, some won't have the capacity to understand the science in their cup.
    If the coffee is carefully roasted and prepared with respect, your customers will like it.
    If they want to add sugar and/or cream...............what could it hurt.
    The more roasting a bean endures, the fewer original elements remain (including caffeine).
    Less roasting, has it's own set of shortcomings (incomplete development of vegetal sugars etc).
    So, if customers just want their coffee, sell it to them, just do the best job you can be proud of.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links