Controlling taste

rsilves

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Well, basically I was searching for a post that I've seen in the past and now I can't find it. (I just know I read it but every keyword I try to search doesn't get me to it). It was a comment about how to "control" the taste of the espresso by changing some of the variables, like the grind and size of the shots.

I'm just an amateur on this, so please don't be rough with me. I have a Saeco Xsmall super-automatic, and a DeLonghi cheap manual machine with a blade grinder. Until now, the best beans I've found (in easily accessible stores) were Kenya and Komodo Dragon, from Starbucks, but as those are too oily and make my super-automatic machine work bad., so I'm trying different beans to find ones that match my taste and machine :p
Today I used "San Salvador" beans and the coffee came out too acid. I know it might just be the taste of those beans, but I'd like to read some more and see if I can make it taste better.

Thanks,
Rodrigo.

JJohnson0731

Aug 10, 2011
New Jersey
Visit site
You know what rsilves, if you are having trouble with the acidity I would recommend looking into infrared roasted coffee. Unlike regular heat roasting, infrared roasting significantly reduces the acidity of the coffee and it is also enhances the flavor of each bean. I currently consume an infrared roasted coffee and I noticed a difference. However, my coffee is also organic so that may also play a role in the flavor, but I really hope that this helps. If you have any other questions or want some ideas please let me know, I always enjoy helping a fellow coffee drinker.

DirtyDave

Near Infrared cooking WILL reduce acid strength in a coffee bean.
However, it is unlikely your roaster is utilizing this technology.
If your roaster has halogen infrared heating elements in the roast chamber (much more likely),
this is not Near Infrared roasting, and does not significantly reduce the presence of acids.
It also imparts a "radiated" flavor to the roasted bean (as well as the broken glass possibility).
Having said that, if you personally enjoy the coffee you are roasting, knock yourself out and keep on learning.

JJohnson0731

Aug 10, 2011
New Jersey
Visit site
Wow thanks for the information DirtyDave. You seem very knowledgeable on the subject and I feel as though it is not a topic that comes up very often. I did not realize that this was the case with infrared roasted coffee. However, I do not roast the coffee myself. I actually purchase monthly supplies online from a company. The company is Boresha in case you want to check it out. This is the site I generally use: Boresha Skinny